• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirt guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Sorry, no Q-View for this one.  But the pictures would have looked the same as last year's (with one exception).  I brought the camera with the best intentions, but was too busy to ever get it out of the case.

Today was the day for our annual customer appreciation party held each year at our shop.  The 40x60 building (actually only using 20x60 for the general public)  was filled for lunch with many not having seats. Those that didn't have a chair didn't seem to mind as they did their part to go through the 25 racks of ribs (trimmed St. Louis style), two Pork-U-Pines (these are whole loins, cut into thirds, with an uncooked hot link inserted into the center--see the link in my signature line), approximately six pounds of hot links, a two and a half pound tube of pork sausage placed on a piece of tin foil whole, and four gallons of ranch style beans (with some extra spices added for good measure).

The actual highlight of the event came in the form of a pleasant suprise from a friend.   He brought a whole brisket from a half-beef he bought last year.  He said he and his wife didn't eat brisket, so we might as well cook it and serve it to the guests.  My brother mixed up a rub for the brisket.  It consisted of primarily Head Country dry rub, some finely minced garlic, and some other secret spices Colonel Sanders couldn't pry out of him.  The brisket was cut in half, rubbed down and placed on the smoker.  After a few hours, my brother foiled them up and placed them in the end of one side of his smoker.  They sat there unmolested for what was probably about seven hours total (I didn't keep track of time in all the busy-ness).  When I pulled them and sliced them up, it was very moist and DELICIOUS!!!  I only got a taste of one end while I was slicing.

As I put the first half into the roaster and moved away, I heard a huge ruckus and raves about how great it was tasting.   Before I could slice the second half and bring it to the roaster, the first half was nothing more than a juicy memory in the bottom of the roaster pan.  Sadly, the second half suffered the same fate (with only one person coming away with a fork in the back of their hand).  It truly was one of the best tasting briskets I've eaten in my more than half-century of living.  It was moist, tender, and the hit of the party.

Again, I apologize for no pictures.  But, I really had my hands full keeping the food coming to the masses.  Before you ask, there were no leftovers.

The worse part of the story is I have to clean up the mess tomorrow night after putting in an eight hour day.  :-(
Last edited:
It sounds like a great feast, but you know the

  I've been waiting to use those lol 
Glad you had a great party sounds some great food!! I know how it goes sometimes there's just not time to get the camera out but of course you have to be given a hard time about no Qview

How's this, Jerry? 

Well, it's from '09, but everything looked just about like this--gray skies and all.  It was Stonebriar's fault.   He was supposed to take pictures, but all he did was walk around making people take tastes of his "Iron Will" rub.  He did do his share in knocking a dent in the food, too!
Last edited:

Well it's nice to hear from you again there Bruce. I know that the food was great as usual and don't be such a stranger next time.
Thanks, Mark.  It really was a great day to smoke.  Lots of humidity made the ribs really puff up and taste great.  We had the ribs and loins picked up directly at the packing house (Guymon, OK, about 3 hours away).  They had a little flash freeze, but were never fully frozen.  I don't think you can get any fresher unless you do the butchering yourself.  The ribs were already trimmed up for St. Louis Style.  All we had to do was peel the membrane, rub them down and toss them on the smoker. 

My brother designed and built this smoker starting with a discarded ammonia fertilizer tank (16 ft. long).  I've never seen one that consistently cooks ribs to a golden brown with very little blackening to the exterior.  You can literally watch the grease bubble out of the rib as they cook.  His only regret is that the doors were cut a bit too big.  Once the smoker was mounted on the trailer, we had to stand on the balls of our feet to reach the handles to close them back shut.  If he had reduced the top cut of the door by an inch and a half or two inches, we could have easily reached the handles.


BTW, we're in Oklahoma.
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads