Where to buy meat in Dallas (Richardson) area?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drenalin11

Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
Hey guys I'm heading to Dallas for a few days and am looking to pick up some cuts I can't get local (Mississippi). Pork Belly and Tri Tip are for sure 2 I'm going to be looking for. Any one know of a good shop for these two cuts? Or have any recommendations on some other cuts?

Dallas is a pretty big place. Where exactly are you going to be? That will help folks narrow it down for you.

I've had more than one friend recommend Hirsch's Meats. It's just North of you in Plano but it might be worth the short drive. I'm planning to visit this meat market soon and I live almost 70 miles away. It comes that highly recommended from a reliable friend.

Hey guys I'm heading to Dallas for a few days and am looking to pick up some cuts I can't get local (Mississippi). Pork Belly and Tri Tip are for sure 2 I'm going to be looking for. Any one know of a good shop for these two cuts? Or have any recommendations on some other cuts?

Hi there and welcome!

Hirsch's Meats in Plano is a good place to try though their prices are a little high but hey they are like the last pure butcher shop standing in the North Dallas area. Be sure to call them up before you make the trip up there though. I have never seen pork belly or tri-tip just sitting out in the counters. If you end up there be sure to buy one of their "Texas" flavor sausage links, I think it is called that and is a brown color. It is the closest thing I've encountered to basically having a taco in a sausage casing minus the veggies and tortilla hahahah.

I go to Costco and get pork bellies. I'm not sure I see tri-tip there though.

Next, not too far from Richardson (Dallas North Tollway and Hwy 635) in North Dallas, near the Alpha Rd and Midway intersection there is the US Foods Chef's store. It is a restaurant supply store that will likely have both items. It's a cool store just be ready to load up as I don't think you can buy less than about 16-20 pounds of pork belly in one shot.
Feel free to give them a call as well.

Finally, any of the bajillion Mexican grocery stores in the area would be good to wander into and see what you discover. They are used to people speaking English in them, even if they have to find someone there that speaks better English. There is no telling what you will find on one of those places. There is a big Fiesta meat and grocery store at Spring Valley and Coit road on the edge of Richardson and Dallas (by Hwy 75 and Hwy 635).

Oh and for run of the mill grocery stores Tom Thumb and Market Street are good and a little nicer than the normal stores but not really "high end". I would avoid Kroger, Albersons, and Walmart for meat if you want something better than the typical/crappy experience.
High end grocery stores are going to be Central Market and Whole Foods which are awesome but the uppity crowds can be annoying. Central Market is like the mall of grocery stores and well worth the experience if you get near one.

Ok that about covers it now hahaha.

If you get a chance get to a Babe's Chicken Dinner house in the area and get the fried chicken, do not deviate! Also Dallas really isn't that great for BBQ but if you can get to a nearby The Hard Eight, Cadillac BBQ, or hit up a Rudy's (avoid the sausage, horde the BBQ sause!), those would be places shouldn't dissapoint.

Enjoy!

Oh Tom Thumb has $0.99/lb whole pork loins on sale this week :D
I'll check after work and see if brisket is on sale anywhere in the grocery fliers :)

Well no brisket sales this week BUT there are great meat sales overall. The best week I've seen in a while.

Tom Thumb
  • $0.99/lb boneless whole pork loin
  • $6.99/lb atlantic salmon whole filet
  • $6.99/lb Choice Cut T-Bone steaks family pack (the steak of Texas)
Albertsons
  • $0.99/lb Bone in half pork loin (crown roast basically)
  • Sun-Mon $3.99/lb Choice cut bone in NY Strip steaks family pack
Kroger
  • $1.77/lb pork baby back ribs
Market Street
  • $5.97/lb Choice but Boneless Ribeye family packs

Ranch 99 for pork belly. Cool pace. Get some pho while in there. They sell frozen breaded calamari in an orange box that is some of the best I have had.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky