Where do you guys get your wood chunks from?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I ride around after storms and cut my own wood from piles at the road. I have white oak, red oak, hickory, pecan, cherry, and just picked up some maple while I was in Kansas....all free.....

Reactions: bbqking01
No more than I use I just buy chunks by the bag at the big box store. But if I had a stick burner I would get my wood from The Wood Yard over on Merriam Lane. They cater to the professional bbq teams.

I like the B&B chunks. Several Ace Hardware in the area usually have them in stock. If not they can have them in by the end of the week usually. I have also used the Western brand from Walmart with no problems but prefer to shop local when possible

Academy usually has a good selection of chips and chunks. I buy a couple of bags at a time.
Jim

I just buy splits & cut my own chunks with a chop saw.
Al

Reactions: 912smoker
The local Ace Hardware store by me carries a lot of wood chucks and has a ton of different woods for smoking and since I use it for my electric the bags are just the right size.

If I am using my stick burner I have a local guy that will sell me a rick of what every wood I want.

I typically either get wood from Ace or a couple smoking specialty stores near me. I have a cherry tree in my yard too that I trim occasionally and have used that in the past.

I considered fruita but it's a bit pricey. How's it compare to the bags you can find in stores? Any significant difference?

I only ordered from them once so I don't have a lot to go by. However the wood chunks were all pretty similarly sized which was nice. I got peach wood which at the time I couldn't find in my neck of the woods. Opening the box though the wood smelled so good and sweet which I hadn't experienced before with other fruit woods from stores.

I just buy splits & cut my own chunks with a chop saw.
Al
But I dont have a chop saw. :emoji_disappointed: I went to Academy to day and same thing as last. Very small chunks.

With all the Nor-easters we get obtaining quality wood of any shape hasn't been an issue.No shortage of oak or maple the last couple of years.

With all the Nor-easters we get obtaining quality wood of any shape hasn't been an issue.No shortage of oak or maple the last couple of years.

I'm so jealous of all you guys that get your wood for free and know how to distinguish the different types of wood. Unfortunately that's not an option for me, since I live in a townhouse.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky