When using a Vortex...........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
........How do you replenish the wood chunks onto the charcoal when you have the upper grill full of meat?  Place the wood on the upper grill over the Vortex?  Now if the weber came with it's upper grill having a removable center circle allowing you to add more charcoal or wood halfway through your smoke.

I have seen Weber with a grate with the removable center.

The mini-booster that I made for the mini-WSM burns over 4 hours when fully loaded. I would have to think that the vortex must get 6-8 hours.

I have never had anything on the grill long enough to run out of wood with the vortex!:biggrin:
But I have placed wood on top often.

Awesome,  getting ready to add the Vortex to my arsenal.....wonder which size Vortex is the best for my 22 incher.  Small?

I have the medium for my 22 inch webber also. The small will also work.

I put a big chunk wood on the cooking grate. Plenty of smoke that way.

I have the medium for a 22.5 and have never needed to add fuel to it!  It burns super hot for super long!  I love it.

Mike

Both the small and the medium Vortex will work great in the 22.5” Weber kettle….that is the one kettle size that both units are really great in. Really it depends on what cooking style/s you are wanting to use the most.

Indirect/Direct cooking – for instance like chicken wings for example the small Vortex would give you more grill space and you can fit more food.

Low & Slow – for cooking a pork butt a medium Vortex would give you a larger indirect space for bigger butts. And the small Vortex would get you longer time because you have more room for charcoal.

Direct High Heat – for searing steaks the medium Vortex will give you more searing room.

Infrared Heat – for cooking a beer can chicken the medium Vortex will give you room for a larger bird, even a small turkey (I put a 8 pound turkey in the medium).

I have the medium vortex too which I use on my 22" and 26" Webers. I have not had a problem with them running out of fuel either but I do use good quality briquettes that last for many hours.

Thanks all.  Might get the dimensions of the small vs med from Owens BBQ.  I mainly do chicken wings so small might be the way to go, but if I want to expand my weber usage...........such decisions

Can someone give me the diameter of medium unit's  smaller opening?

Awesome, thanks.  On the small, the small opening is 6" dia.

I think I am going to get a small one for the 22" for more options

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky