When to start the smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ajb2320

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
When making beef jerky when should I put the smoke to it so it doesn't try it out but still has a good smoke taste to it

I'm sure one of the sausage guys will be along soon, or you could just PM Nepas. He will answer your questions.

I always start the smoke right away and start with the MES30 as low as it will go.  After a couple hours I raise the smoker temp to 160 for around one hour, then take the Jerky out and put on the dehydrator.  I have been doing this for both cut up meat and when I make it from ground beef.

I also have a ms30 will the chips smoke at that low of a temperature. Doesn't the temp start 100•

It's hard to generate a lot of smoke at such low temps in the MES.  It's best to use another smoke source like an A Maze N smoker or the tin can/soldering iron smoke generator.
da2db9b3_CIMG6170.jpg

ajb Morning. When I apply smoke to semi dried meats, I preheat the MES to 100 with the top vent open and the chip tube removed. This takes me about 1 hour. Then insert the meat to be smoked and leave it in the box for another hour or 2 until it is dry to the touch. Top vent open and chip tube still removed. Now you need an Amazn or tin can soldering iron or 1 lit briquette with chips in a can or some sort of smoke generator to make smoke while all the drafts are open. Maybe remove the chip pan and add chips but do not put the chip tube back in. The ventilation is crucial to dry the meat and circulate the smoke.

After all that, turn up the temp and you do not necessarily have to put the chip tube back in. That will allow the chips to smoke more without increasing the temp.

Just my thoughts.  

ajb2320, just seen your question about getting smoke at 100 deg.  Sorry I should have added that I have both a Smoke Daddy and a AMNS that I can use for the smoke at that temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky