When to shred the pulled pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whittling chip

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 18, 2011
Largo, FL
Whittling Chip is making pulled pork for my family
biggrin.gif

He is going to cook it all day on his New Braunfels smoker. He plans to smoke at a temp of 225 to 165 internal temp, then foil to rise to 200 and then wrap and place in a cooler wrapped in towels. It is an 8 lb shoulder butt and will take all day Friday. He'll be starting it around 8:00 a.m. and figures it will be coming off the smoker about 12-13 hours later.

The cooked butt then goes in the frig until Saturday. We are driving to my family's place (2 hrs) on Saturday and will reheat the pork in the oven for serving about 12-1 pm.

QUESTION: we have always pulled the pork as soon as it was done. Could we wait until we got to family house and reheated butt before pulling or is that too late?  He wants them to see the "show" of pulling that tender juicy pork!

PS he loves this forum and my taste buds have benefited greatly from his experiments - yummy!  Thank you all! 
first.gif

Wife of Whittling Chip

WoWC

You could try that?  But not for me?

It is much easier to shred once it cools to handling temp out of the smoker.

Not saying it couldn't be done?  Just not the way I would try it.

Good luck and good smoking.

I agree with Merv, you should pull it when it's done. Reheating it whole may dry it out. I've never tried it, so maybe it will work. Chef Jimmy J should answer this one for you.

yeahthat.gif
    I would also save some of the juices to add later. The pulled pork will loose some of its moisture when storing it in the fridge.....

Joe

The first choice would be to pull it after the rest and reheat with the pan juices and your choice of finishing sauce in a Crock Pot or Oven...If Whittling Chip has to have a show...

Cut the smoked Butt in 2, lay the pieces cut side down in a pan.

Add the pan juces and some apple cider up to 2 cups liquid.

Cover tightly with a layer of Plastic wrap and then a layer of Foil.

Heat in a 325*F oven to an IT of 165*F and Demo the Pull in the pan so the meat can soak up any juices that leached while it rests for 15-20 minutes.

Add your finishing sauce and serve...

For a Carolina Vinegar Finishing sauce, SoFlaQuers is a great choice...

For a Kansas City sweeter Finishing sauce, do a search for my Foiling Juice...Have fun...JJ

Yeah Ideally pulling it after the rest would be the way to go. easier to reheat and Im pretty sure it would be easier to pull. Like he others said save any and all juice for reheating if your going to be doing the pulling the next day.

I had a similar problem and pretty much did what Chef JimmyJ says here. Mine came out pretty darn good and pulling was way too easy. 

The first choice would be to pull it after the rest and reheat with the pan juices and your choice of finishing sauce in a Crock Pot or Oven...If Whittling Chip has to have a show...

Cut the smoked Butt in 2, lay the pieces cut side down in a pan.

Add the pan juces and some apple cider up to 2 cups liquid.

Cover tightly with a layer of Plastic wrap and then a layer of Foil.

Heat in a 325*F oven to an IT of 165*F and Demo the Pull in the pan so the meat can soak up any juices that leached while it rests for 15-20 minutes.

Add your finishing sauce and serve...

For a Carolina Vinegar Finishing sauce, SoFlaQuers is a great choice...

For a Kansas City sweeter Finishing sauce, do a search for my Foiling Juice...Have fun...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky