When to cut brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raw

Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Looking for a little help on this. I put my brisket on this morning at 6 and just pulled it and have it tented and resting. I'm going to put it in in the cooler for a couple hrs to make it good and tender. (thanks for the tip) Now I read somewhere that its hard to cut into slices after its been put into the refrigerator overnite. I'm about wore out from working in the yard all day. Should I suck it up tonight and stay up to slice it or will it still cut alright in the morning?

Thanks for any help you can give.

If you have a slicer it will not be an issue either way.
If you do not have one it would not be tough to slice it is just easier to do when hot. Or just reheat it and then slice it.

I have a cheap'o elec knife and it DID NOT like to cut brisket after it was in fridge over night. I had to let it rest, give it a beer, and the remote to the tv before it cooled down enough to want to go at it again. I'd slice it up tonight. "Suck it up Nancy"............just somethin' I tell the kids alot.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Plus you get to sample quicker! Can't beat that!

If you make sure you have a good knife you shouldn't have a problem. Do not use serrated edged knife. That will just tear it up. Now I perfer chicago cuttlery but there are a bunch of really good knives out there.

i have done many briskets but i just got cornfused..... do you give the chef a sharps beer ( after all he cooked the meat fer hours & prolly drank a few.... or was that give the brisket a good beer & the chef a good knife.....or was that give the brisket a beer & a rest & give the chef a good night ....just gotta be sure on this ... soak the meat marinade the cook ....

I always cut my briskets the next morning. Everytime I smoke one, I let it get up to 200o so it won't slice very well until the next morning.

If I'm not eatting it that night I always slice mine the next day after sitting in the fridge over night they kind of stiffen up better and make it easier to hold on to. They're not all wiggley that way. They deffenantly slice on the slicer better cold!

If I'm pullin I do it the same night.

I ended up slicing it up last night. I had it up to 190 and it didn't slice real well. I have alot of chopped meat now. I did the little cooler trick I learned on here and it is the most tender brisket I've ever done. Next time I'm going to try to cut it the next day.
Now I can't wait to reheat and slap some sauce on it
icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks for the replies

Thats o.k. Raw, shreaded brisket is pretty tasty too, FYI, that cooler trick, if u wrap in foil and then a towel or blanket, will stay warm for 12 hrs +, then u can slice later and it will still be warm
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That was going to be the original plan. I wasn't going to start cooking it until this afternoon and cooler it for Sunday afternoon party. But of course they're calling for thunderstorms all day and night so I had to smoke it a day early. I've never cooked it a day early so I didn't know what to expect.

Shreaded is fine by me, it all eats
icon_biggrin.gif
. I would of just liked a few more slices for for the family (you know the oooohhhhh factor)

I forgot to put up a couple pics.

Ready for the smoker:

Ready for the knife:

Ready for eating: (forgot to take pics lastnight, this is after a night in the fridge and it don't look as juicy now
mad.gif
)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky