When to add more chips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jtr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Maine
I have been doing my seasoning of my GOSM, hickory/mesquite chips filled the entire box and have been cooking for just under two hours. The chips still have a structure but they are all black. When/how do I know when to refresh with new chips?

When you stop seeing smoke
wink.gif

So after smoking for 2.5 hours I wasn't generating much smoke, so I went to take the smoke box out and the chips were all black but in the middle there was a white spot and some embers. Once removed the air hit the chips as I stirred them around and they started to smoke again, a pretty good amount of smoke. Do you think I had the side lower level vents open enough? They were about half way to 3/4 way open and the top vent was open 100%.

Since this is a new GOSM, are you using the new smoke box, cast iron thing with the removable lid? You might think about switching to a cast iron skillet. Most of us with the GOSM have. Seem to get better results. 2 hours seems about right. It depends on what type of wood you're smoking, as in sawdust, chips, chunks or bigger pieces of wood. I personally use a mixture of chips and chunks to get the smoke started, then the chunks take over and if I've got bigger chunks they seem to be last. And to further confuse you, I toss in pellets once in a while for added flavor. (There are several types of woods I can't get in chips/chunks, so I use Traeger pellets to fill in the gaps).
Your dampers sound about right. Remember, you want a thin smoke, not the heavy rolling smoke.

Refilling the wood? Well, after about 2-3 hours, I quit applying smoke. Time for heat and other magical steps to take over and finish off that fine piece of meat.

If you have other questions, please ask. These guys here are just brimming with knowledge to share.

~Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky