When it rains and you NEED to smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishcatchr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2018
Having a holiday gatering tomorrow and planned to smoke two pork shoulders overnight. The forecast in Houston calls potential flooding. Decided to improvise.... smoking inside the garage tonight. Got my CO alarm on deck just Incase!

Attachments

• D09966D1-178D-4C2B-B303-71FADA199E3B.jpeg
    D09966D1-178D-4C2B-B303-71FADA199E3B.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: fivetricks
I used my MES in my garage, near the door, when I first started smoking, before I moved it to my Front porch.
I ran a big fan blowing by it toward the door to push the smoke outside, and froze my Butt off!!! Not the Pork Butt either!! Yes it was Winter Time!!

Bear

I used my MES in my garage, near the door, when I first started smoking, before I moved it to my Front porch.
I ran a big fan blowing by it toward the door to push the smoke outside, and froze my Butt off!!! Not the Pork Butt either!! Yes it was Winter Time!!

Bear

Following your step-by-step for the smoke tonight. Know you didn’t do your’s overnight, but I think I’m setup to make it work. Will post the results tomorrow. Thanks!

If I needed to do smoking during a big rain, I'd put it in the garage, with the door open, but I'd also improvise some sort of chimney pipe to carry the majority of the smoke outside to avoid having a smoke smell in the garage for the next few months (or longer -- smoke damage is tough to get out).

A $5 3" raincap from your local hardware/big box would allow you to turn your exhaust upwards and make it a solution for anytime it rains!

A $5 3" raincap from your local hardware/big box would allow you to turn your exhaust upwards and make it a solution for anytime it rains!

When I saw rain in the forecast I initially planned to cut a hole in the wall and run a permanent vent outside. Got shot down by the “boss lady”, but I think I’ll be able to sneak it in for the next rain.

May I suggest a single or double coathook hangar system? You install single or double coathooks into whatever horizontal surface works for you and zip tie chain from your exhaust to aforementioned coathooks.

Then you can hang in rain (or no rain when you just don't feel like being outside) and the solution is instantly removable.

Still jelly of that thermo shelf you have above btw. When you posted that thread I went out to my wooden MES30 cart and added a small metal shelf for all my thermos. Not as sweet as yours but she gets the job done when combined with the magnets on the thermos.

If it's raining and not overly windy I have an ezup canopy that I use. I tried smoking in the garage a couple of times and the wife hated the smell coming in the house every time someone opened the door. That smell lingers for quite a while.

Chris

My smoker sits on my back deck, garage isnt an option, doubt the landlord would like that, so when it has rained and I have the smoker going, a reused Walmart bag goes a lobg ways. I actually started leaving it over the control unit even when not in use and its covered. Seems to help keep a lil extra moisture out.

I put ALOT of prep time in and time is precious so rain doesn't stop me at all. Keep cord out of puddles, bucket over controller, and some wood pieces to keep rain out of vent.

May I suggest a single or double coathook hangar system? You install single or double coathooks into whatever horizontal surface works for you and zip tie chain from your exhaust to aforementioned coathooks.

Then you can hang in rain (or no rain when you just don't feel like being outside) and the solution is instantly removable.

Still jelly of that thermo shelf you have above btw. When you posted that thread I went out to my wooden MES30 cart and added a small metal shelf for all my thermos. Not as sweet as yours but she gets the job done when combined with the magnets on the thermos.

Not sure I follow your coathook system. Do you have pics? Trying to better understand. Thanks! Also, thanks for the positive vibes on the shelves. Glad to have helped come up with the idea.

This house has a covered patio, so I'm good. Either the Weber 22 or the offset will work just fine.

When I was growing up and we wanted to grill burgers during rain, we would do it in the garage. Now THERE'S an aroma to have in the garage.

Unfortunately I can't. I used that at my old house.

What I did was install a single coathook into the doorframe of my garage door. This could be done on any surface you see fit.

From there I attached 2 or 3 zipties around a length of flexible dryer hose that I was using for chimney extension off of the smoker. I hung the other end of this ziptie "chain" on the hook so that the flex hose could be directed outside of my garage.

Kudos on not letting nature dictate! I use my fire place. Not allowed to have a smoker where I am, so I time my smoke for how long I need it and don't open it until it had dissipated. I use some 3" ducting and then shove a 4' flex piece up the chimney and extend it. My apt smells like a BBQ joint for a few days but I don't care. I use a amazn tube or Z tray depending on what I'm doing.

I live in the Seattle area. If rain kept me away from the smoker, well, I'd probably weigh somewhat less than I do now, but I'd be miserable. My MES30 is on a wheeled cart similar to yours in my garage. I just roll it to the edge of the concrete and point the exhaust elbow toward the street. I still get a little smudge on the white eave above the door, but I figure some fresh paint at some point will be a small price to pay.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky