What's your opinion of this stuffer/

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
agree with beer-b-q... save up another $40 and go with the grizzly 5 lb vertical... better to pay once than twice

So the horn style stuffer isn't really all that great?  I'm super new to this stuff, so, I'm relying on the ol' pros here to educate me a bit.  ;)

I probably won't be buying a stuffer real soon anyways, my grinder is due to arrive tomorrow as it is, so I'll have plenty of time to just get used to grinding and such.

What grinder did you buy?  The reason I ask is that some are able to stuff too. It may not be as fast for what you want to do, but it may get you by until you can save the money to get the stuffer that will meet your needs.  FYI, Cabela's has a Weston 7 lb stuffer in their bargain cave  for sale. I received the 11lb one for Christmas, I think the the 7lb one  s  are around 100.00. If you look on-line you may find a discount code and save a little money on it. I still haven't had the time to try mine ,but their were several people on here that have them and are pleased with them. I had been looking at purchasing the 5lb one from Grizzly, before this one was brought to my attention. 

So the horn style stuffer isn't really all that great?  I'm super new to this stuff, so, I'm relying on the ol' pros here to educate me a bit.  ;)

I probably won't be buying a stuffer real soon anyways, my grinder is due to arrive tomorrow as it is, so I'll have plenty of time to just get used to grinding and such.

Horn stuffers are the devil, find a good vertical stuffer if you can afford it, LEM or Grizzly, Or Weston from Cabelas. You can probably stuff with your grinder, I have done it, but it can be very frustrating. A small batch (like 5#) would probably be okay to stuff with your grinder.

icon_cool.gif

Now I have never used a horn stuff but I can see how it would be pain in the a- - to use. Now ZI would recommend the vertical stuffer. I have one of those and I can stuff some good links by myself. It did take some practice before I could do it but it's not that hard. 

I had one and they are the devil. Get yourself a vertical stuffer and you won't regret it. If you are doing large amounts look for like a 15lb stuffer but if you are doing smaller amounts a 5lb stuffer should work just fine.

Thanks for the advice.  The grinder i ordered came from Harbor Freight, it's a little electric model that some folks had mentioned was a decent machine for the price.  As always, I know you get what you pay for and in my case, I usually get less, but I definitely wanted to get something to start grinding with.  I see that it comes with the stuffing tubes and all, so I'll likely go that route first when I get a chance to try stuffing sausage.

I was just asking because that horn stuffer came up in a search and for the price, I wanted to see what the consensus opinion was before I dropped any cash.  The vertical is now on my list of toys, much to the wife's chagrin.

You should check out this site and see what you think of their water stuffers. Someone posted yesterday about theirs and I have seen them before but never knew how they worked. Go to their page and watch some of the videos. If they work as good as they look like they do it would be worth getting one as they seem to be reasonably priced. The only downfall I can see is you would need a water source available.

http://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.com/

I got took for 35.00 on a horn stuffer once, they are complete crap, Mine went to the junkyard in the back seat of a plymouth. It would bypass more than it would actually stuff.

I would rather stuff with a mixer which is akin to pulling a bad tooth before going with a horn again.

As mentioned watch the bargain cave. I got mine from Gander mountain for a decent price but 4 times more than a horn type and for good reason.

You should check out this site and see what you think of their water stuffers. Someone posted yesterday about theirs and I have seen them before but never knew how they worked. Go to their page and watch some of the videos. If they work as good as they look like they do it would be worth getting one as they seem to be reasonably priced. The only downfall I can see is you would need a water source available.

http://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.com/
I saw that site last night.  Seemed pretty good to me, but I wouldn't have a way to hook up water from our new fancy shmancy faucet.  I'm going to try stuffing with just the grinder at first to see how it goes before I invest much more into the gear.

I got took for 35.00 on a horn stuffer once, they are complete crap, Mine went to the junkyard in the back seat of a plymouth. It would bypass more than it would actually stuff.

I would rather stuff with a mixer which is akin to pulling a bad tooth before going with a horn again.

As mentioned watch the bargain cave. I got mine from Gander mountain for a decent price but 4 times more than a horn type and for good reason.
If the horn is getting such terrible reviews, I'm really glad I asked about it here first.  I had no idea.  I'll keep an eye on the bargains elsewhere, besides, I haven't even received my grinder yet.  LOL  Once I've tried a few pounds with that, I'll see what the boss says about investing in ANOTHER piece of equipment.  You'll have to imagine her rolling her eyes while reading that last part.  

Go with a LEM 5 lb stuffer or Weston 7 lb
Tried the horn stuffer and now it sits in the garage, after one batch of SS I was very frustrated. Bought the LEM 5lb

and MAN WHAT A BREEZE.

ps.I also just ordered the meat grinder from Northern Tools, it is in my carport just have not had time to make another batch.

May tackle that today

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky