What's your favorite method for smoking brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

To Wrap or Not to Wrap

• Other - add in comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

banjo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Alpharetta, GA
This a poll, so select from list above!

Franklin, of Franklin's BBQ in Austin TX, recommends the use of butcher paper in smoking brisket. I bought some butcher paper a while back, and intend to use it soon in smoking brisket. I've never used the butcher paper before, just leaving my brisket "nakid" on my smoker.

What is your preferred method?

Last edited:
This a poll, so select from list above!

Franklin, of Franklin's BBQ in Austin TX, recommends the use of butcher paper in smoking brisket. I bought some butcher paper a while back, and intend to use it soon in smoking brisket. I've never used the butcher paper before, just leaving my brisket "nakid" on my smoker.

What is your preferred method?
I have done both the TX crunch and the butcher paper wrap. The bark holds up better with the paper wrap but I prefer the juices collected from the crunch method. I also trim all the fat cap off of my prime grade briskets so the rub gets to the meat. Another method I have done is when the flat portion of the brisket is not very thick, I take the briskets off the smoker at the 4 - 5 hour mark and tie (butchers twine) two together, spritz with apple juice, and put back on the smoker. This has assisted in maintaining moisture in the flat throughout the cook. I know I got off track, but my friends tell me I'm over the top!

Reactions: gmc2003
I've used foil and nothing. I've preferred nothing, but recently tried butcher paper on tri tip and pork butt. I liked the results. Will probably pick up a brisket this week at Costco and try butcher paper for the first time.

Hi,
New to this forum (just bought a GMG) but smoke competitively

I found "Boating" the Brisket keeps the bark intact and keeps developing colour.

PYgs91

Attachments

• brisket-boating-amazing.jpg
    brisket-boating-amazing.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
I like wrapping with butcher paper. But I am going to experiment cooking in a pan.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky