Whats your favorite fat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yaay! I helped!
banana_smiley.gif

I also talked to my local butcher, he said he'd order some 50/50 pork for me. Should be here this thursday. He said that's what the deer proce$$ors use.

We spoke briefly about a broad spectrum of fat, so I kinda forgot what exactly I'm getting... I think it's pork belly. When he brought up pork belly I asked him if it was un-cured. Hopefully I'll get to talk to him a bit more in detail about exactly what he's sold me.

I asked him about pork fatback. As I understand, that's the backstrap of fat on a pig, the filet mignon of fat. But he dismissed that option quickly... don't really know why. I'ma ask him again about it.
Obviously I am from a bit further south
biggrin.gif
 so dont know how exactly your crew do things BUT if they are breaking up whole carcasses ask about the fat from around the kidneys .Suet to my tribe ,really white clean fat used a lot in old fashioned lard pastry & cooking generally. Bit of a butchers secret ,beef veal or lamb.I sometimes mince it jazz it up with herbs & bits then rub on lean cuts or poke it into cuts in the meat. Maybe garlic,lemon zest,rosemary,cbp,minced anchovy,parsley. Just my 2 cents of course.

Obviously I am from a bit further south
biggrin.gif
 so dont know how exactly your crew do things BUT if they are breaking up whole carcasses ask about the fat from around the kidneys .Suet to my tribe ,really white clean fat used a lot in old fashioned lard pastry & cooking generally. Bit of a butchers secret ,beef veal or lamb.I sometimes mince it jazz it up with herbs & bits then rub on lean cuts or poke it into cuts in the meat. Maybe garlic,lemon zest,rosemary,cbp,minced anchovy,parsley. Just my 2 cents of course.
Pops or others can confirm but I believe in the States the fat around the Kidneys of Beef and Lambs is most commonly called Suet, the Pork equivalent is referred to as Leaf Fat. I try to use the right Lingo when buying products, so I get exactly what I am look for...JJ

Last edited:
Well it seems kidney suet is what I am looking for. Pork leaf fat might be the way to go for sausage. What do you think is a good fat content for sausage? 20%?

Well it seems kidney suet is what I am looking for. Pork leaf fat might be the way to go for sausage. What do you think is a good fat content for sausage? 20%?
20% yields a juicy, nicely textured sausage and strikes a balance between good flavor yet still somewhat healthy...JJ

I got my pork fat today, plus 25lbs of beef fat.

Figured I'd share some pics.

I got 60lbs of pork trimmings in one solid frozen block.

Right now I'm taking a break after portioning out half of it in to various 2,3,4,5 pound vacuum sealed bags. The pieces were just tossed into a box, so they are all twisted up which has made it very difficult to portion, especially in a frozen state. The butcher charged me $50 for this case!! I was thinking, "dang, that's almost the price of pork meat". Oh well, I won't have to harass my local butchers for fat anymore. ;p

Pics of the pork:

About an hour in to pulling on and hacking at the frozen slab I remembered to take a pic for y'all.

I sure wish they would have laid the pieces out in a more uniform manner.

A'ight, I'm headed back to schlepping away at my pork fat.

See y'all around!

When I make beef stock there's always a nice layer of fat after it has been in the fridge overnight. I use this in my burgers that I grind myself. I also love duck fat. Fried potatoes in duck fat are just incredible.

I have heard about potatoes cooked in duck fat and that it is amazing. I have also heard duck confit is amazing. Any time you poach meat in its own fat sounds good to me!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky