What's your biggest BBQ challenge?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Starting early enough and having patience enough and the nerve to wait and let it get done.

Keep on smokin'                                Ed

My biggest challenge is going up & down the steps to my curing fridge, and carrying things without dropping them---All since a so-called Dr messed me all up, more than 3 years ago.

It's all a real PITA !!

Bear

Interesting thread. Thanks.

For me the most vexing thing was learning the nuances of the vertical smoker. I've always used bullet types and had no issues with those.

Thank goodness for the web. Reading reviews from previous owners (both positive and negative) and their learning experiences that brought about "mods" like sealing the doors, and improved charcoal pans made the smoker go from nearly useless to easy to  work with.

Getting the smoking part down with things I have never smoked before is easier with this site for sure.

Finding time! I'm always impressed with how meticulous people on this forum are and all the innovations in both the art and science I read. I feel lucky to pull off the most basic meals!

Last edited:
With the amount of information available it's easy to overthink things. That was my biggest problem at first. Then it was all the gadgets. Thought I needed all the gadgets. Then I realized it was information overload causing me all the stress and worry and constant baby sitting. I felt I had to look at my Maverick temp remote every 30 seconds for no other reason than because it was there. I went more minimalist and it made me much better at my craft. I'm a stick burner and stick burning by nature will always keep you more involved with your smoker but that's what I like about it. Tending my stick burner is almost therapy for me!
biggrin.gif

There are many good basic tutorials for pulled pork, brisket, ribs etc on this forum. Start with those to give yourself the best chance at success and then expand from there.

The most difficult thing I ever had to do was cook vegan burgers. I was smoking for my sons customer appreciation party. He is a real estate broker and I guess there were about 75 people there. There was this vegan couple who asked me to do a couple vegan burgers. They didn't mind if their burgers cane in contact with grates that other meats had been on but wanted them done quickly because they had to leave. My fire box opens on the top so I opened it up and I have a grate I can put on it and grill. These things were so dry all they wanted to was stick to the grate and fall apart when touched with a spatula. I managed to get 2 of the 4 done that were still in edible shape. 

I apologized to them but they were very polite.

My smoker is not vegan friendly!
biggrin.gif

Starting early enough and having patience enough and the nerve to wait and let it get done.

Keep on smokin'                                Ed

This^^^^^^.
Time management and patience have been the toughest for me, I usually don't begin early enough and then I'm a wreck because dinner's not done in time lol. My ultimate test will come in a couple weeks, I've got the fellas coming over to help with a home project and I'll be attempting my first brisket.............. Pray for me. :biggrin:

Time to do it is the hardest, with kids, work, old house, and a loving wife. It hard to give them all the time they need and smoke also.

And then their is chicken wth almost everyone has it dry out on them and mine all most all ways is to moist and falling apart.

I think my biggest challenge and least consistent smoking issue is controlling temperature. I don't have the best equipment for smoking as I do almost all of it lately on my Weber kettle. It is a compromise solution at best. I sometimes use my MES but less so because I'm caught up in the heat and smoke man-make-fire-cook-meat syndrome. I want an offset stick burner but I'm pinching pennies as it is; so that might or might not ever happen.

I have smoked brisket, butts, chickens (whole and parts), ribs, pork chops, steaks, prime rib leg of lamb and paella on my Weber. Of course I sometimes use it to grill burgers, dogs, barbecued chicken and veggies, too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky