What's your BBQ/Grilling adventure for 2012?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walterwhite

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Chicago area
I had a terrific year for smoking, BBQ and grilling.I expanded my equipment (too much!) and tried a bunch of new things. Among highlights for this last year:
  • Beef back ribs.
  • Atomic Buffalo Turds.
  • Grilled bananas
  • Roasted red peppers (for a hummus like dip)
  • Beef brisket
  • Blackened (sort of) fish.
  • Grilled lamb chops
There are probably a few things I'm overlooking and a few things I tried that were not exactly a resounding success... ;) But overall I'm pretty happy with the results I've gotten. 

But enough for the past. What should I try new in 2012? There are two things on my list at the moment:
  • Beef rib roast (AKA prime rib.) I like it too much to not give it a try.
  • Rotisserie duck. We've got a couple ducks in the freezer that my son raised and I want to give them a shot on the rotisserie. There are only two wrinkles on this. The processor skinned them rather than pluck them. I'll need to be careful to avoid drying them out. Also my only rotisserie is on a gas grill. Maybe I'll do one on the rotisserie and the other on a kettle or my mini-WSM.
Do you have any plans to try something different?

I should add that I discovered Steve Raichlen's show Primal Grill which has provided a lot of motivation for some of the things I've tried.

I had a great year and am looking to have even more in '12 .

First is my "Frosty Balls" (a fund raiser for the Iron Coffins / MC of Fostoria,Oh. on the 28th. of Jan.

Then , the N.W.Ohio Group Plans a gathering this Spring.

The King/Herman gathering is July and our B-days will be the same day ; to save $$$ and unforseen problems.

Fall brings my end of Summer get togather for the neighborhood and friends.

So , I will,God willing, be busy for an oldman.
biggrin.gif

Stan      aka      oldschoolbbq

have fun and...

1. Pork shots are a sure thing on the list this year.
  2. Developing sausage making skills and recipes are a high priority this year.  
  3. A patient of mine from South Africa asked me about making boerewors (farmer's sausage), so I'm going to try to give those folks a taste of home thanks to Africanmeat (Ahron).
  4. Figuring out how to smoke shrimp w/o drying them out and making them tough!
  5. And maybe -- just maybe -- a turducken 
    icon_eek.gif
     thanks to inspiration from SmokingAl!

Stan - sounds like you've got a lot of big events. I hope they all go well and you get to be a hero at each one! 
thumb1.gif

adiochiro3 - pork shots sound great. I'll have to give them a go. Think I'll go with pepper bacon for those. I did shrimp once on my mini-WSM and my notes indicated that I went with not a lot of charcoal and coated the shrimp liberally with garlic and oil with some cumin and pepper. Temps in the smoker (measured with my ET-73 at the grate) ranged from 195° F to 135° F over a three hour period. (This was before I improved ash handling in the mini-WSM and temperature suffered at the end of a smoke.) Anyway, they were on for about two hours and the closing comment in my log was: "Shrimp is done and juicy and very tasty as long as you like garlic." Good luck with our turducken. I tried that once and it was not one of my high points. It literally became a family joke as in "What are we going to have for Thanksgiving?" - "Turducken" - "Hahaha... ha.. ha..." 
ROTF.gif

Since i have just started i have a clean slate to work with. One is to not open the door so much (mes30) read and learn and experiment.

Cold Smoking courtesy of Todd Johnsons AMNPS ...Specifically...BACON!!!.. Cheese, Boykjo Kielbasa and Tasso...JJ

I vow to not spend money on more equipment this year.  I have all that I need,  I have all that I need,  I have all that I need,  I have all that i need.  I keep saying that to myself.

I think that I have all that I need...I think...Could use a wider Smoker...I make sausage, smoke all sorts of meat, Bake bread and pies, can stuff, cook all sorts of things yep I think I have everything...Maybe not......!

Good Point Alelover,   I'll be traveling to North Florida Gathering and we will be hosting SELA this fall .   Sure would be nice to get to North Carolina and South Florida

I vow that 1. i will have fun smoking meat  2. i will Share it with my SMF friends 3. i will do my bast to travel  to one of the gathering  this year.

if i will have time i will build a big electrical smoker and a curing fridge.

Besides just random smokes this year i want to get a better set up with an mes 40, an amznps, and a better electric thermometer. Also doing a deployment party for a sgt and probably a welcome home party for 1 if not 2 others.

For 2012 will stat my journey  of competition BBQ. I already have 3 comp. lined up here in New york and 1 in Mass.. Its going to be a fun journey to meet people and learn as much as i can about bbq...

Also will be buying  a backwoods smoker

I plan on smokin a few game hens, pork ribs, tenderloin, tuna steaks, and I would loooove to make a pastrami. I will be having a spring pig pickin the last Sat in April. All are welcome. A stranger is just a friend I havent met yet. I also want to experiment at great length with blending dry rub spices and sauces. Maybe in the fall I may even try some venison, rabbit, and maybe wild duck wrapped in bacon. Mmmmmm!!!

1. Build a small smokehouse.

2. Experiment with sausage making (my Dad has been doing this for years, but I never took interest in it.  Now I'm 40 and ready to learn)

3. Be cooking in a reverse flow, trailer build by years end (East Texas Smoker or Lang preferably, I dream all day about those).

4. Get to know alot of you guys better.

5. Participate in a few small comps.

6. Eat all my smoking experiments.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky