Whats that smell?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PolishDeli

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
I got pork shoulder the other day for only $0.98/pound (went to a local grocery store, not a big chain). As soon as I got home, I started cutting it up, and was planning to use it for sausages.

The smell was way off.
It was not a rotten smell (it did not look rotten either), but definitely not a good smell.
I’d describe it as “bleachy.” Interestingly, it was the fat that smelled the most. The meat smelled mostly normal.

I usually buy pork shoulders at SAMS or Publix; they’ve never smelled like this.

Any thoughts?

I've had that happen . Goes away most of the time . I just got home with 6 myself . Guess I better open them up

I’ve had that happen a few times. Still came out good. I give it a good wash

sometimes they smell a little when you first open them, smell should go away fairly quickly, as long as they aren't green and slimy I wouldn't worry about. hatfield pork is great for this

Thanks for the reassurances!
I trust the product was good and that the smell probably came from processing the animal.
It was just really funky.

I always keep receipts, but occasionally they get discarded. A while ago I opened a rack of SLC ribs purchased at my old grocery store. They smelled off, not rotten, but it wasn't a pleasant smell. I washed them and the smell diminished. Smoked 'em, the smell was still there, and they were inedible. I dug the wrapper out of the trash and took the wrapper and the smoked ribs to the grocer. Explained what happened, showed him the wrapper, and let him smell the ribs. He gave me store credit, which I used to purchase another rack of ribs that turned out fine.

Bought 6 yesterday , just got done grinding up 4 . 2 gonna have to go in the freezer . First pack had a bit of a smell , but went away .

I washed the meat pretty thoroughly. If the smell improved, it wasn’t by much. It got repurposed as dog food. She’s not complaining.
I'll be getting another one or two today.
Making a variety of Polish sausages for Easter...

sucks you have to go through that, at the place I work we usually only order paper wrapped pork butts and trim and wrap them ourselves for the meat case, never any problems with those, once in a while they send the vac packed ones and 9 out of ten times they have an odor.but the odor most of the time does go away.

Making a variety of Polish sausages for Easter...
Awesome . Had some friends parents years ago the did Easter up " Polish style " He used to go to , I'm not sure if it was Piekutowski's or G and W and get all the good stuff . Big spread of all types of sausage cheese and meats . Hottest horseradish I ever ate .
I'm still getting just a bit of smell out of one that I ground today . Mixed up in the fridge , we'll see in the morning .
if you make up some stuff , I would love to see it .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky