What's a Picanhas and what's better about it.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’ve had it in Mexico at really nice steak houses. One of the best steaks I’ve ever had. It has a really large fat cap on top of it which if cooked correctly, melts in your mouth. Do a little reading on it to make sure you cook it properly. The only place I could find them around here is a Mexican markets, the American butchers cut the fat cap off. Do you plan on smoking one?

Reactions: whistlepig
Picanha is a prized and delicious cut. It's often used in brazilian steakhouses. It rivals a tri tip for sure. I sent tx smoker tx smoker one for Christmas from Porter Road butcher that was dry aged. You should definitely pull the trigger

I can get it cheap here in NY at a restaurant supply house, has to be cooked correctly or it will be tough. I probably did not spend enough time to perfect it but I find Tri-tip much more forgiving.

It’s best served rare, I’ve only made mine on a cast iron in the oven. I imagine wrapping it would be the best bet as to keep the fat from drying out after the first hour or so. Do you know how big of a piece you can get. My Mexican store makes me buy it 3-5 lbs so it can take awhile. It’s a sirloin cap I believe.

That made things easy. picanha it is! And a tri tip on the next try.

I’ve not cooked one yet, but been meaning to try it. I’ve had it in Brazilian steakhouses in the US and Mexico, and it’s one of the best cuts I’ve had the pleasure of eating.
I think they use just coarse salt for seasoning. I’ve not investigated the cooking process in detail. I suspect the fat cap is integral to the final outcome.
I highly recommend trying it.

On the Sirloin Primal, the Picanha, Sirloin Cap is on top of the Top Sirloin, (Top Butt Roast) and is the Least Active Muscle of the primal. The Picanha is very tendet, similar to a Strip Loin. It best Med/Rare, smoke to 110, rest 20 minutes, Sear to 120- 125 and rest 15 minutes while Carryover finishes the cook. It gets tough cooked beyond a Finished IT of 145.
The Tri-Tip is on the bottom of the primal, it is a more active muscle and is less tender than the the Picanha, although still very good...JJ

Reactions: 912smoker
You may want to head over to the Sous Vide Everything you tube channel and take a look at their version of Picanhas.

It looks amazing!
If I remember correctly, they have a couple of different methods of cooking it on that channel. They are from Brazil.

Good luck!

tri tip on the next try.
Here's a smoked then seared Tri tip . Great piece of meat .

Picanha is real tender & tasty "IF" not over cooked. One of favorite cuts of beef.
Dan

Attachments

• DSC04129.JPG
    DSC04129.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC04130.JPG
    DSC04130.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 16
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky