What'cha all doin? Sunday smoke with QV

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rsands

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
We'll I got up early this mornin' (okay it was 10am, I was up late last night
icon_smile.gif
) and fired up the smoker. I really really wanted to do a packer brisket, but could not find one at 3 butcher shops nor Krogers. Lots of frozen flats, no packers, so I went with a 7 lb Chucky, and Krogers had some good lookin ribs on sale, 2.19/lb.

Ribs

Got the little GOSM, wont fit unless I cut em in half. Membrane pealed, rubbed & ready.

The chucky.

Threw some cowboy in the Weber, seared all sides. Nothin other than CBP before searing.

Seared (not too heavy? 1st time I've done this). It smelled like the best steak in the world at this point!

1st a heavy coat of garlic powder

Then a coat of Jeff's rub

and in the smoker

Thanks Teabear & SD! 1st time on the sear for me as well, but I think it's going to turn out great! Not doin a whole lot today, just enjoying it. Got the radio on, smoker goin, and reloading shells for my pistols. Here's a pic of the ribs right before foil. Put em in just as they started to pull away from the bone, just over 2hrs of smoke at this point.

And here's after a 2 hrs in the foil.

A little more rub on em, a spray of apple juice, and back in the smoker for finishing.

Great Q View my friend, and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Jeanie & Rich!
biggrin.gif
A few more pics. The ribs were the 1st I've made where they tasted great as is.
icon_smile.gif

And here's the chuck roast. Nothing more than a few drops of juice out of it at this point (cooking it too slow?), and it's at 155 internal. Gonna put it in a pan and in to the oven for finishing.

I'm getn ready to use my smoker for the 1st time and I don't know what I'm doing lol. Mequite chips, water mixed with red wine and some chuck steaks. I'm experimenting now. Wish me luck !

Sounds great Rizer! Goodl luck, and lets see some QV!!

Are they in a pan or anything? In a pan I say 2 hours smoke, flip, then 1 to 2 more, then cover w/ foil. On the rack, I flip and mop every hour. Everyone has their own way, experiment all you can. Good Luck!

Real good looking grub, RSands!!

$$#&, and all I smoked today was a ham. Now I wished I had done ribs!!!!
But the smoked ham bone was great in the pot of red beans and rice I just finished ... so it ended okay!!!

Rizer, hope your steaks came out good, sorry I missed your post til now. I flipped the roast once, after two hours, sprayed it once an hour with apple & jack, then flipped it once more goin in the foil. Here's the final Q, got about a cup and a half of juice out of it, skimmed the fat off and added it to a little stubs beef marinade for a finishing sauce, but it doesn't need it. Oven temp was ~290, finished around 9:30. Pulled it out of the oven at 198, let it sit an hour and a half then pulled. Very tender & juicy, best chuck/brisky I've done so far!

Rim shot

Everything looks great! Thanks for sharing the Qview.

Thanks Bassman & Cman. Wish I had time to keep the roast in the smoker, but am very happy with the way everything turned out. Ya think the pics are too big? I'm using photobucket to keep the bandwidth requirements low on the forum, and keep the image size to 150kb or so.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky