What would you do with a whole wheel of parmesano reggiano cheese?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Friend of mine received a whole wheel from his boss, imported from Italy....

I have a lot of suggestions I will send him, but looking for more ideas...it's 74 pounds of cheese! He's gonna need a lot of recipes!!LOL!!!

Reactions: noboundaries
Holy smokes that’s a lot of cheese.

How about some cacio e pepe? Traditionally it’s made with Pecorino Romano but Parmesan will work just fine.

Maybe smoke a bunch too? So you could have it portioned and stored in the fridge...Or cut up some of the Parm with the cured meats you do and make some snack packages with the vacuum sealer?

Chicken Parm/Veal Parm? I think your buddy may need to see a doctor after blowing through 74lbs of cheese.

Reactions: indaswamp
In Italy, I’m thinking they keep the parm wheel on the counter in the kitchen. So is shelf stable? I’m guessing it is dry enough to be. We love Parmesan Regiano. It goes well with just about everything. Poached eggs, just about any sauce or soup. Sausages, meatballs, gravy. The dryness and saltiness of the cheese makes it very versatile if you use the imagination.

All else fails he can always take up watching that Giada cooking show. Lol

Reactions: noboundaries
I would hate to see what a wheel of it would cost at the store, I would put it on everything I cooked.... it would last a long time lol

What would **I** do? I would bow my head and thank God for my incredible good fortune!
And pray for many cases of wine to go with it!

Dry hard cheeses like Parmesan-Reggiano are better for you than soft cheeses. I go through a couple pounds a month, but hey, I'm half Italian. To quote Franks hot sauce, "I put that...".

I've read online that freezing Parmesan-Reggiano makes it unusable. Wow, I've not found that to be the case with the Italian imported P-R I buy from Costco. I'd cut it into 2 lb portions, vac-seal them, gift a bunch, and freeze the rest.

A flat cheese grater is a MUST HAVE.

Color me green with envy.

Reactions: indaswamp
My immigrant grandparents always had part of a wheel of cheese on the kitchen table under a glass lid. It was parmesan of some kind. As a kid I called it "stinky cheese." Any mold was just sliced off and tossed. I still do that.

We have reusable vac-seal bags we use to keep the cheese in. Cuts WAAAAY down on the mold.

Lasagna is great for parm-reg as one of the 3 cheeses I use. Any pasta with any sauce: red, butter, oil, garlic, cream, etc. With a wheel like that I'd grate it on buttered toast in the morning. Baked potatoes, steamed veggies. garlic bread, any salad with a vinegar-based dressing. It's even good on a fruit salad that uses a little buttermilk as a base. Gives it great contrast.

Its my understanding that Freezing changes the Texture. I've never had more the 2 pounds on hand at any one time and needed to try freezing. I have seen some good prices on 1/8 Wheels and was thinking of saving money buying Bulk, so this thread is of value to me as well. There are a few stories of guys, here, finding Vac-Packed Smoked cheese a couple years old in the dark recesses of their Refer, and its fine. I would think 1-2 pound hunks of Parm packed similarly would do as well.
In a similar situation...I would Give Away a large amount rather than finding it spoiled or unusable from trying to store it, long term, in my refer or freezer....JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky