What would be the best size for cardboard smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CanadaSmoker920

Original poster
May 4, 2020
I am trying to build a cold smoker with cardboard.
What would be the optimal size for it?
I see that many people use 2 x 2 x 4 ft but what if I go with 1 x 1 x 2 ft?
Would it be too small? Is there any disadvantage of having it small?

I think people usually design these things around a couple grill grates they already have. You need at least one to hold your meat and another to hold the soldering gun in a can or whatever is your heat and smoke source. I think the little raised cooling grids for cookies fresh out of a kitchen oven would work well here. I recall they're about 12" square or 10x16. They're not strong, but neither is the cardboard holding them and you'd rather not stick in a bunch of stuff like bricks of structural metal that's going to rob your heat during warm-up.
And like cardboard, the price is "attractive" too.
So then the idea is to pick a cardboard box just a bit larger than the grates.
Don't forget to include pictures when you get going!

Welcome aboard. Ya aint robbing heat off of any thing if your trying to cold smoke, the only limit is the smoke generator, you want it small enuff that the smoke cant heat up the items you want smoked, you do want it big enuff that your generator can make a proper amount, if I were doing it I would use a tube with pellets as no electric is needed, fill light let get going for 5 minutes or so, blow out and put it into the rig. good luck and post some pictures here as they host them, easy peasy lol

Reactions: CanadaSmoker920
Also you can use any grill or smoker to cold smoke on without trying to build something, only need enuf room to keep the heat off the food

I’m trying this at some point.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cold-smoker-conversion/

cold-smoker-conversion-6.jpg

I think people usually design these things around a couple grill grates they already have. You need at least one to hold your meat and another to hold the soldering gun in a can or whatever is your heat and smoke source. I think the little raised cooling grids for cookies fresh out of a kitchen oven would work well here. I recall they're about 12" square or 10x16. They're not strong, but neither is the cardboard holding them and you'd rather not stick in a bunch of stuff like bricks of structural metal that's going to rob your heat during warm-up.
And like cardboard, the price is "attractive" too.
So then the idea is to pick a cardboard box just a bit larger than the grates.
Don't forget to include pictures when you get going!
I will!!

Welcome aboard. Ya aint robbing heat off of any thing if your trying to cold smoke, the only limit is the smoke generator, you want it small enuff that the smoke cant heat up the items you want smoked, you do want it big enuff that your generator can make a proper amount, if I were doing it I would use a tube with pellets as no electric is needed, fill light let get going for 5 minutes or so, blow out and put it into the rig. good luck and post some pictures here as they host them, easy peasy lol
how far does the meat have to be placed from pellet?

Think about a smoker at least 18 wide x 18 wide and 30" tall..... Don't forget upper and lower air vents.... ALL smokers need fresh air....

Using pellets for smoke.... They can emit a lot of heat... They will raise my MES 30 about 25 deg. F... I make dust from pellets and dust raises the smoker temp <5 deg. F...
I prefer the smoke from dust for all my smokes now.... Mo betta flavor....

Last edited:
  • Love
I'm with Dave, get a box with as much volume as you can because pellet generators can really kick out the smoke. I like a sawdust generator better for cheese and butter, and you can use a much smaller box. But for bacon, or cold smoking fish I use pellets.

Maybe you can locate a water heater box, or a wardrobe box from Home depot.

Think about a smoker at least 18 wide x 18 wide and 30" tall..... Don't forget upper and lower air vents.... ALL smokers need fresh air....

Using pellets for smoke.... They can emit a lot of heat... They will raise my MES 30 about 25 deg. F... I make dust from pellets and dust raises the smoker temp <5 deg. F...
I prefer the smoke from dust for all my smokes now.... Mo betta flavor....

Thanks for the specific Size! Helped a lot!

I'm with Dave, get a box with as much volume as you can because pellet generators can really kick out the smoke. I like a sawdust generator better for cheese and butter, and you can use a much smaller box. But for bacon, or cold smoking fish I use pellets.

Maybe you can locate a water heater box, or a wardrobe box from Home depot.

yeah my main use for this would be fish and meat! so I guess anything smaller than 2 x 2 x 4 feet would not be suitable to use?

yeah my main use for this would be fish and meat! so I guess anything smaller than 2 x 2 x 4 feet would not be suitable to use?

Again, since you are using pellets, and will be cold smoking fish for Nova lox, or cold smoking bacon which will be fried later.... I think 2 X 2 X 4 would be too small. Not only to pellets produce a lot of smoke, they also produce heat. Having a lot of volume will disperse the smoke and keep it cooler.

Now, if you would be moving into hot smoking fish, or taking bacon to say 145° internal you would need to take advantage of the heat the pellets produce. I burn pellets in my My Big Chief box smoker which is 12 X 18 X 24 and use it for hot smoking fish, bacon etc., but in this smoker the pellets burn in a pan, so I control the amount of smoke. Often I'll only add 20 pellets at a time.

Again, since you are using pellets, and will be cold smoking fish for Nova lox, or cold smoking bacon which will be fried later.... I think 2 X 2 X 4 would be too small. Not only to pellets produce a lot of smoke, they also produce heat. Having a lot of volume will disperse the smoke and keep it cooler.

Now, if you would be moving into hot smoking fish, or taking bacon to say 145° internal you would need to take advantage of the heat the pellets produce. I burn pellets in my My Big Chief box smoker which is 12 X 18 X 24 and use it for hot smoking fish, bacon etc., but in this smoker the pellets burn in a pan, so I control the amount of smoke. Often I'll only add 20 pellets at a time.

Is your dimension in foot?? 12 foot seems massive to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky