What woods are best for which meats?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dgross

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
The boonies of NC
Hi everyone! Sorry that I've been so lax in my checking in lately but the weather has gotten under my skin
icon_mrgreen.gif
and gardening chores are taking over
icon_confused.gif
Just wanted to know what woods are good for which meats? Hubby and I have pruned the fruit trees and are in posession of Plum (lots), Cherry( bits and tips ), and Pear ( Bunches
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif
! ). I have them drying on some oak logs ( future Adirondack shelter ) but am not sure exactly how to use these prunings to the best advantage. Thanks in advance to the wisdom of the TBS and its always awesome initiates
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif
! Motor on
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif
!! Daun

Thanks for the link! I knew that someone here would have the answer to my quandry
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif
. Have a great night!! Daun

NOBODY ANSWER THIS QUESTION!!! It's a trick question.
All joking aside, It's strictly preference. I have tried most every fruit wood with most every meat. Of course some feel that different woods go with different meat. Like I said, it's preference. I plan to add mulberry, pecan, black cherry, and grape. I suspect that I'll like them all.

Tom -

Never tried it but I have been told grape is good with lamb if you like lamb.

Mulberry is great with pork. Gotta beg some more from the owner of ole homestead. He never trims the poor trees.

Grape wood has a very good flavor. Last summer I went Barcelona, Spain and I was able to go to a little restaruant that had smoke lamb and smoked beef steak. I tried the lamb and my wife had the steak, they both turned out really well. I would be willing to give grape wood a try on about anything at least from my first experience.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky