• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What wood is best for smoking pizza?

shea1973

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 16, 2010
I plan on smoking a couple pizzas for the first time next month and was wondering what woods that are best for smoking a pizza?

hickorybutt

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Have you ever tried to smoke a pizza before?

Reason I ask is because I've never heard of smoked pizza. Typically pizza is wood-fired in an oven at really high temps where it cooks in under five minutes. And bread seems to really take on a lot of smoke, in a not so good way. Only time I ever smoked anything bread related was an experiment with my wife's sausage/biscuit/cheese balls. And our guests hated them because they tasted like "ashes". No creosote, just a lot of smoke flavor.

Not saying you can't do it cause there's always several ways to slice pie. Just curious if you've done it.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
I use lump in my uds all the time for pizza. Cook HOT and there is no smoke.

What will you be cooking them in?

shea1973

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 16, 2010
Hickorybutt, the reason why I ask is because I have seen people post pictures about their pizzas and my understanding is that they smoked them. Unless I just misunderstood about them? I just always thought you could smoke them but wasn't sure.

blacklab

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 12, 2008
I personally HAVEN'T smoked a pizza. Friends of mine have thrown them on a treager with outstanding results. Now I've tried with a webber charcoal kettle, for grilled home made pizza. Getting close but not there yet............. BTW I'm a firm believer if you can put it in a oven, it can go in a smoker. GL

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.