what type of grate or rack?

Discussion in 'UDS Builds' started by tito, Aug 2, 2011.

  1. tito

    tito Fire Starter

    ok First time poster long time reader.  I am getting ready to build my first UDS, While in Menard's last night, I passed by the grill products and saw that they had the 22.5 Porcelain Coated grill grate for cheap, 7.49 cheap.  Could I use this instead of the stainless steel, or whatever comes in the Weber grills?

    Also does anyone have a link or part number for what you used for the two air intakes at the bottom and the brass ball valve? I have all three big box stores, Lowes HD, and Menard's, and true value.  Everything I look at is either zinc or galvanized

    Is black steel ok to use in these? I know we don't' want zinc or galvanized but have not seen much on black steel. 
  2. rowdyrawhide

    rowdyrawhide Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

    I am just getting started building my UDS and I am using 3/4 inch steel pipe for my intakes, the valve is up to you, it just has to match the pipe you are using.

    several guys have used zinc, galvanized is a def no no, if you are worried you can go stainless on hard ware.

    hope this helps
  3. smokinal

    smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

    The porcelain grill will be fine. I would use brass for the valves. I don't understand why your HD or Lowe's doesn't carry them. I live in a small town & both stores carry brass valves & nipples. I would not use galvanized.
  4. meateater

    meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

    Brass valves are ok, they dont get hot enough to worry. The grills I use the weber replacement 22 ish grates. 
  5. tito

    tito Fire Starter

    well when I posted this, I had only gone to menards, who is re doing some of their isles.  Went to lowes and HD and found the stuff I need. 

    how long do the bottom intakes need to be? 

Share This Page