• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Kale, potatoes, sausage & pork cheek – Dutch oven over the fire

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

muhkuhmuh

Smoke Blower
Joined
Jan 26, 2017
Messages
117
Reaction score
327
Location
Near Hamburg Germany
Tuscan kale with a Northern German twist – cooked in a Dutch oven over the fire


Today I cooked something a little different in my Dutch oven over an open fire.


I used Lacinato kale (Cavolo Nero) from my garden. This type of kale originally comes from Tuscany, Italy, but the dish itself is inspired by a very traditional Northern German kale dish.


I cooked the kale together with potatoes, Kohlwurst (a traditional German smoked sausage) and pork cheek/jowl.


I started by sweating half an onion in the Dutch oven. Then I added the chopped kale and seasoned it with just a little vegetable stock.


After that, I added the potatoes, the Kohlwurst and the pork cheek and let everything slowly cook together over the fire.


The kale became very tender and picked up a really nice smoky flavor from the fire and the meat. The potatoes soaked up all the juices from the kale, sausage and pork.


Nothing fancy – just good, simple food cooked outside over a fire.


And the best part: most of the vegetables came straight from my own garden.


The final result was a very satisfying autumn meal.
IMG_5675.jpeg
IMG_5676.jpeg
IMG_5677.jpeg
IMG_5679.jpeg
IMG_5680.jpeg
IMG_5681.jpeg
IMG_5683.jpeg
IMG_5684.jpeg
IMG_5686.jpeg
IMG_5690.jpeg
IMG_5691.jpeg



I know Cavolo Nero is traditionally associated with Tuscany, but this preparation is definitely much closer to the way we cook kale in Northern Germany.


Have any of you cooked Cavolo Nero or other kale varieties in a Dutch oven before?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5682.jpeg
    IMG_5682.jpeg
    962.1 KB · Views: 1
All of that looks and sounds incredible!! Beautiful garden you have there!
 
Tuscan kale with a Northern German twist – cooked in a Dutch oven over the fire


Today I cooked something a little different in my Dutch oven over an open fire.


I used Lacinato kale (Cavolo Nero) from my garden. This type of kale originally comes from Tuscany, Italy, but the dish itself is inspired by a very traditional Northern German kale dish.


I cooked the kale together with potatoes, Kohlwurst (a traditional German smoked sausage) and pork cheek/jowl.


I started by sweating half an onion in the Dutch oven. Then I added the chopped kale and seasoned it with just a little vegetable stock.


After that, I added the potatoes, the Kohlwurst and the pork cheek and let everything slowly cook together over the fire.


The kale became very tender and picked up a really nice smoky flavor from the fire and the meat. The potatoes soaked up all the juices from the kale, sausage and pork.


Nothing fancy – just good, simple food cooked outside over a fire.


And the best part: most of the vegetables came straight from my own garden.


The final result was a very satisfying autumn meal. View attachment 741495View attachment 741496View attachment 741497View attachment 741498View attachment 741499View attachment 741500View attachment 741502View attachment 741503View attachment 741504View attachment 741505View attachment 741506


I know Cavolo Nero is traditionally associated with Tuscany, but this preparation is definitely much closer to the way we cook kale in Northern Germany.


Have any of you cooked Cavolo Nero or other kale varieties in a Dutch oven before?
Looks great. My mother in law. Lived in Dinkelhausen, lower saxony. Loved the soup. She called it potato soup. But had all the ingredients you posted. In Darmstadt. Where I was stationed. potato soup was completely different.
I make it a few times a year here.

P1110403.JPG

Zuppa Toscana. Dutch oven is the way to go.
 
That's a great looking plate . I'm not much on Kale , but those meats are calling my name !!
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back
Top
Clicky