• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What to do?

rw willy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 7, 2008
I have a ton of Habeneros ripe on the vine.  I ordered my Amaz n smoker and it won't be here for three more days.  Can I pick them Saturday, split them and dehydrate, then cold smoke?  Or should I wait, cold smoke then dehydrate?  If I wait, I won't be able to get to them until next Sunday.  I'm afraid I will lose a bunch of them to rot and over ripe if I don't pick them this weekend.  And I don't have the room to refrig them until next weekend.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

I want to make smoked powder out of them.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
Pick them and proceed as planned if your worried. Smoke them later.

rw willy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 7, 2008
I'm worried they may not "pick up" any smoke if they are dehydrated first.  But I guess if you can smoke salt them dehydrtated peppers should get smokey.

I'll let you know, thanks

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
Bill,

UPS Tracking says it was delivered 9/14.

Are you smokin those little buggers yet?

Todd

rw willy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 7, 2008
Yes, smoked them today with mesquite 4 hrs.  All was delivered on time.

I dehydrated them last week and sealed'em in a food saver bag.  Put them in the coffee grinder this morning.  That was fun, I had to go to the garage and get a face mask.  Poured the 2 cups of habenaro powder and 1 1/2 cups of jalapeno powder into seperate pie pans.  Placed them in the GOSM with the AMAZE Smoker and let her rip.

Sure looks good.  Will post some pics.

Great little device.  Thanks

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
COOL!

I like success!!!

Todd

richoso1

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 21, 2007
I'm worried they may not "pick up" any smoke if they are dehydrated first.  But I guess if you can smoke salt them dehydrated peppers should get smokey.

I'll let you know, thanks
I fire roast them first, then peel,  and then smoke them. At this point you can freeze them, dehydrate, or can them and they will have a good smokey taste through out. I'm not sure what you mean by " But I guess if you can smoke salt them dehydrated peppers should get smokey.". Can you expand on that for my clarification. I always look forward to learning something new.

Thanks,

Rich

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
My thought is that the dried peppers would pick up the smoke more readily. Nothing tested yet, just a theory. RW I'm jonezing for the pics.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks