What to do?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rw willy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
I have a ton of Habeneros ripe on the vine.  I ordered my Amaz n smoker and it won't be here for three more days.  Can I pick them Saturday, split them and dehydrate, then cold smoke?  Or should I wait, cold smoke then dehydrate?  If I wait, I won't be able to get to them until next Sunday.  I'm afraid I will lose a bunch of them to rot and over ripe if I don't pick them this weekend.  And I don't have the room to refrig them until next weekend.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

I want to make smoked powder out of them.

I'm worried they may not "pick up" any smoke if they are dehydrated first.  But I guess if you can smoke salt them dehydrtated peppers should get smokey.

I'll let you know, thanks

Bill,

UPS Tracking says it was delivered 9/14.

Are you smokin those little buggers yet?

Todd

Yes, smoked them today with mesquite 4 hrs.  All was delivered on time.

I dehydrated them last week and sealed'em in a food saver bag.  Put them in the coffee grinder this morning.  That was fun, I had to go to the garage and get a face mask.  Poured the 2 cups of habenaro powder and 1 1/2 cups of jalapeno powder into seperate pie pans.  Placed them in the GOSM with the AMAZE Smoker and let her rip.

Sure looks good.  Will post some pics.

Great little device.  Thanks

I'm worried they may not "pick up" any smoke if they are dehydrated first.  But I guess if you can smoke salt them dehydrated peppers should get smokey.

I'll let you know, thanks
I fire roast them first, then peel,  and then smoke them. At this point you can freeze them, dehydrate, or can them and they will have a good smokey taste through out. I'm not sure what you mean by " But I guess if you can smoke salt them dehydrated peppers should get smokey.". Can you expand on that for my clarification. I always look forward to learning something new.

Thanks,

Rich

My thought is that the dried peppers would pick up the smoke more readily. Nothing tested yet, just a theory. RW I'm jonezing for the pics.
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky