What to do with the TOP freezer in my curing chamber?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vernonjesseadams

Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Hey everyone, im new to the site and have a question, i built a curing chamber with temp and humidity controllers that regulate it with a work light ( for heat) ,cool mist humidifier ( for RH rise) and a small computer fan to move air at the bottom of the fridge. my question is this;
the fridge has freeze at the top what should i do with this? should i try to remove some of the divider between the freezer and fridge? ( think the cooling coils are in there) add another fan to remove the air from the freezer? or just leave it alone?
Worried about stagnant air in there contaminating the fridge while curing/Aging.

thanks in advance

If it’s a two door leave it and use it for storage. If it gets musty drill a hole or two. If it’s a single door with the freezer inside tear it out , and cover any holes with sheet metal.

Can you get a Parts Schematic to see what's there, then decide?...JJ

Hey everyone, im new to the site and have a question, i built a curing chamber with temp and humidity controllers that regulate it with a work light ( for heat) ,cool mist humidifier ( for RH rise) and a small computer fan to move air at the bottom of the fridge. my question is this;
the fridge has freeze at the top what should i do with this? should i try to remove some of the divider between the freezer and fridge? ( think the cooling coils are in there) add another fan to remove the air from the freezer? or just leave it alone?
Worried about stagnant air in there contaminating the fridge while curing/Aging.

thanks in advance

When I had a special Meat Curing fridge, all I did with the freezer section was fill a bunch of big jugs 3/4 full with water & freeze them. Then I'd have them in there for special occasions, Like Cold Smoking Cheese in my MES. This also made it cheaper on electric keeping it filled with those Jugs.
I also would Vac Pack & freeze my special "Expensive" Paint brushes that we use every 3 years to paint the Woodguard on my Log House. Keeps them like new for 15 years now.

Bear

leave the freezer alone if you are using the unit to cool your meat, filling with water jugs is a fine idea and will help keep temps stable thru out the whole unit. I work on them daily

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky