WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH BRISKET PRICES!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It has been a while since I smoked a Select grade brisket, but I think I'll pick one up and give it a try. I've been wanting to play with a new tenderizing injection my brain has been cooking up. A Select grade packer at $2.20/lb at one of the local discount chains just might be the perfect test subject.

This week at Kroger

haha...I just said to my self...well, a long trip to Kroger is in order. Then I googled it and the nearest Kroger is in Texas. Going to be one hell of a weekend of driving.

Kroger.JPG

Just looked at my Aldi weekly ad flier. They have "choice corned beef points" for $1.99/LB.

Just picked up a brisket at 1/2 price from Walmart, choice grade and not the best looking brisket, but I figure I can make do for $1.26/lb.

What sort of injections would you guys recommend? I wouldn't normally inject, but since this isn't the nicest cut I figure some added flavor wouldn't be bad. Was thinking an ACV, Worcestershire, Whiskey mix might be good

Come by some beef in South Florida, you will never complain about your prices again!!! LOL
Some info you may or may not know ; Florida produces the most cattle in the united states. This was true 12 years ago..probably still true. This may have something to do with those low prices

Down here in Texas we're paying roughly $1.86 per pound. Full packer Briskets.
Not to bad but I've seen better prices .
Something to think about , prices can vary from state to state due to multiple variations ... Weather can even play a huge part in market prices due to trucking..Time and fuel prices.

Just found some brisket... $8.99/lb

I'll stick to mature beef rounds! They can be had for a LOT less.
You've got to be kidding me..that's outrageous !! What part of the country are you in ? State ?

Local restaurant supply special this week. Whole Chuck Roll is $2.75. Formerly Cash & Cary they are now Smart Food Service. There is quite a chain on the west coast and a locator on their website.
Brisket ad.jpg

upload_2018-6-12_13-14-5.png

Price at our local Texas (Houston) HEB Grocery as of today, has ticked up about $0.10-0.15 a pound. These are select packers, prime is running $3.99/lb. I do SV corn beef so the $1.96/lb is fine for me. Besides, I can control the corning process, not happy leaving that to others, but that's me.

Reactions: Burner76
View attachment 367160

Price at our local Texas (Houston) HEB Grocery as of today, has ticked up about $0.10-0.15 a pound. These are select packers, prime is running $3.99/lb. I do SV corn beef so the $1.96/lb is fine for me. Besides, I can control the corning process, not happy leaving that to others, but that's me.
Good to see fellow Houstonians !!
Cheers from Spring Tx.

Some info you may or may not know ; Florida produces the most cattle in the united states. This was true 12 years ago..probably still true. This may have something to do with those low prices

Then as a fellow Houstonian you ought to know that your state, Texas, as been the leader in cattle production for many years. In fact Florida doesn't even make it into the top 10 producers. Not sure where you got your info from. Here are the Beef Industry website leaders as of last year;

• Top 5 states that raise cattle and calves as of Jan. 1, 20173:
  1. Texas – 12.3 million
  2. Nebraska - 6.45 million
  3. Kansas – 6.4 million
  4. California - 5.15 million
  5. Oklahoma - 5 million

Then as a fellow Houstonian you ought to know that your state, Texas, as been the leader in cattle production for many years. In fact Florida doesn't even make it into the top 10 producers. Not sure where you got your info from. Here are the Beef Industry website leaders as of last year;

• Top 5 states that raise cattle and calves as of Jan. 1, 20173:
  1. Texas – 12.3 million
  2. Nebraska - 6.45 million
  3. Kansas – 6.4 million
  4. California - 5.15 million
  5. Oklahoma - 5 million
Back in 2006 i had stopped by the welcome to Florida state info and rest center.
There on the wall inside the building was a list of state info and facts. That is where i read that Florida produces more cattle . Now mind you , this was back in 2006 as i previously stated. Your info shows as to date of 2017 .

Interesting data Troutman! I have been curious about the breakdown into quality grades vs mass produced volumes of feed-lot beef. Of course also where they are raised would be different than the slaughterhouses in which they go.

I think it's just that the demand for brisket has skyrocketed in recent years & so the fat cats are pricing it higher.
I'll say one thing, if you don't know how to cook a brisket correctly, then I doubt you will ever try another one, cause a tough chewy brisket is just no fun to eat even if the taste is spot on. Personally I prefer to make them into pastrami. I would eat a pastrami sandwich over a brisket sandwich every day of the week!
But once again that is just Judy & myself, we love pastrami Reuben's!
And by the way if you haven't tried grinding up a whole brisket for burgers you are missing out on the best burger on the planet!!
Al

Yes sure Al agree 100%. We grind brisket for burgers here regularly. And when I mentioned corning my brisket above, I really meant to follow that with taking the corned beef and turning it into pastrami. Like you and Judy, I have a real passion for the stuff and make it about once a month.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky