What Size for Snack Sticks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Okay guys, one more question. What IT do you go to and why? I've searched and found anywhere from 152° to 165°.

I bought a 3/8" nozzle and 19mm casings from LEM. So I now have my sticks stuffed, and in the fridge. Will smoke tomorrow using Bearcarver's guide. I'm using an 80/20 mix of ground beef and the second half of the seasonings & cure from my High Mountain Pepper & Garlic mix.

I would have smoked them today, but it was way too windy. And besides, I was busy suffering from coronary thrombosis while watching the Seahawks/Packers game today.

Last edited:
USDA requires all ground meat be brought to a IT of 160 degrees. Its not clear what ground meat IT should be with cure. Curing salts are used in food preservation to prevent or slow spoilage by bacteria or fungus. Through experience and what the norm is over the years in sausage making most take the internal temp to 152 with cure. I like to make sure all my sausage has reached 154 so I so I take my sausage to 158 to 160 to make sure all of it has reached 154. Some places when probed will have a few degrees difference.

Joe

USDA requires all ground meat be brought to a IT of 160 degrees. Its not clear what ground meat IT should be with cure. Curing salts are used in food preservation to prevent or slow spoilage by bacteria or fungus. Through experience and what the norm is over the years in sausage making most take the internal temp to 152 with cure. I like to make sure all my sausage has reached 154 so I so I take my sausage to 158 to 160 to make sure all of it has reached 154. Some places when probed will have a few degrees difference.

Joe
There are varying opinions as to cured and cured and fermented sausages with regards to IT. Most info I've read suggests an IT of 152 for most cured sausage, but I've also seen a suggested IT of 140 for some fermented cured sausage. An example is the summer sausage recipe in Marianski's book.

3/8" tube will allow for the 21mm casings to fit on them without having to slide them on inch by inch.  That's what I use.

I will use 80/20 with at least 4 cups water per 25 lbs.  Usually about a cup more.  

I use my 5 lb stuffer for sticks.  I tried using the 15 lb stuffer, but I kept blowing the gasket.  Too much pressure for that little 3/8" tube.

Try 19mm, too.  They work but I prefer the 21mm.  

Put your extra casings in a zip-lock in the fridge.

3/8" tube will allow for the 21mm casings to fit on them without having to slide them on inch by inch.  That's what I use.
So I discovered. I thought it would fit on there as is, but no. Oh, well. This is a first attempt, and I'll see what the 19mm look like when done. If I don't like it, I'll switch to 21mm next time. I guess if I'm seriously going to get into the sausage side of things, I'll eventually have to trade in my jerky blaster for a real press stuffer.

Ok, the sticks are in the smoker, and I have the AMNPS loaded with 70/30 apple and pecan for this first smoke.

Pics to follow, tonight.

21's work for me and I take mine to 152*IT and all my sticks have Cure#1 in them. This batch I did not use a Binder, usually I put 1 cup of NFDM in per 5lbs just forgot on this batch from this weekend. 

Good luck and let us know how they come out. 

DS

IMHO, I take them to 165.  I use a cure mix, too.  I think it gives them a more "stick" look rather than a "hot dog" look.  I want them a little drier.  I also like to ensure that everything is completely done.  Just personal preference.

High Mountain has a cure; doesn't say what kind, but I assume it's #1 or similar. It's yellow, not pink. The instructions say it also acts as a binder.

The jerky I made last time didn't last long enough to see if it would preserve well.

I'm doing just a little over 5 lbs on the sticks, and I don't see them lasting long, either.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me if the ice water bath does anything other than cool the sticks quickly?

Since it was so cold today, I omitted it, and just left the door fully open. They were cooled down in about 5 minutes, and then bagged and packed into the fridge. Seemed counterproductive to get them all wet, and then have to dry them off all over again.

Last edited:
Can someone tell if the ice water bath does anything other than cool the sticks quickly?
Since it was so cold today, I omitted it, and just left the door fully open. They were cooled down in about 5 minutes, and then bagged and packed into the fridge. Seemed counterproductive to get them all wet, and then have to dry them off all over again.

It's my understanding it is to get them to stop cooking and cooled down quickly.

With the cold temps I did the same thing. Just hung them in my garage over night.

Okay, thanks. Just wasn't sure if the water was also supposed to change the texture of the casings, or what.

The water bath will soften the casings a little.............

Sticks I never water bath, just lay on counter and let bloom then to brown paper bag and in fridge for a couple days before vac packing, I do how ever water bath my summer sausages. Just things I have learned from this site.

DS

Sticks I never water bath, just lay on counter and let bloom then to brown paper bag and in fridge for a couple days before vac packing, I do how ever water bath my summer sausages. Just things I have learned from this site.

DS
Grinder this year, vac-sealer next year! This hobby is getting expensive! LOL

Looks great DS!

Reactions: peterb

Grinder this year, vac-sealer next year! This hobby is getting expensive! LOL

Looks great DS!
Ha! You got that right. I had to buy a new vacuum sealer last month when my old one broke. Now I'm starting to look around for a LEM-type stuffer...

Ha! You got that right. I had to buy a new vacuum sealer last month when my old one broke. Now I'm starting to look around for a LEM-type stuffer...
Yes and I am hoping this doesn't start a vicious cycle. About the time you get it all, the first item will croak.

Where are all the estate sales that have complete processing set ups for sale for free?

Friend was all excited when he called, he'd found me a hobart at a good price. ROFLMAO It was a commercial floor mixer, Probably a 25 to 30 gal,  6 foot tall at least, the whisk was bigger than a medicene ball, but it had a grinder attachment...>LOL I think it came off a Navy ship in refit at Pasagoula.

Last edited:

I have the lem 5lb and love it but if I had to try it again I would go grizzly or Northern tool and give them a try, A LOT of people here say they are the same 

When we did them sticks this last weekend, by the time we mixed all 4 different flavors (5th was already mixed and curing) and stuffed all 50lbs it only took us about 3 - 3 1/2hrs to get r done. 

I went with the smaller dia. stuffing tube this time and got a lot more casing on there and put food grade grease around the rubber seal of the stuffer a couple of times and boy what a world of difference. 

Good luck and nice sticks mneeley!! 

DS 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky