What metal to line smoker with?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hangingmeat

Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
I am building a 40" x 40" x 5 feet tall smoker. Was wondering what types of material is used to line the inside of the smoker with and what thickness is typically used? Thank you!

I used 1/4” hardibacker cement board on the lower part of my smoker, kinda wish now I would have lined the whole thing. You can also stop into a roofing company and see if they have some bare metal corrugated sheets they do rusty roofs with, it’s just corrugated steel roofing with no paint. (Non-galvanized)

I used 1/4” hardibacker cement board on the lower part of my smoker, kinda wish now I would have lined the whole thing. You can also stop into a roofing company and see if they have some bare metal corrugated sheets they do rusty roofs with, it’s just corrugated steel roofing with no paint. (Non-galvanized)
Can you use hardi board on the inside of the smoker where the food will be? That would be great if you can! Is there any coating on the cement board that might gas or slough on the food? I was wanting to use my smoker as both a hot and cold smoker so it may see some temps around 180 to 200??? I thought about using aluminum or stainless, but I would have to take out a second mortgage to afford it. This is the build so far. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20221122_151152.jpg
    20221122_151152.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 14
Looks like you are off to a good start. Mine is 3’ x 3’ x 7’ as far as I know there is no food safety issue using the hardibacker board, I’m not sure about other types of cement board but they aren’t as easy to work with as the 1/4“ hardibacker. Couple others here lined their smokehouses with the same, only complaint I’ve heard is the board can retain moisture making temperature stability an issue but I’ve not had that problem at all and most haven’t either.
4C554822-0632-4DA1-A5A7-B1DEDDF44345.jpeg
E36357F7-E0B5-4338-A28E-31C8ACF16C13.jpeg

Looks like you are off to a good start. Mine is 3’ x 3’ x 7’ as far as I know there is no food safety issue using the hardibacker board, I’m not sure about other types of cement board but they aren’t as easy to work with as the 1/4“ hardibacker. Couple others here lined their smokehouses with the same, only complaint I’ve heard is the board can retain moisture making temperature stability an issue but I’ve not had that problem at all and most haven’t either.
View attachment 650050View attachment 650051
That is super nice! Thanks for the Intel, I will probably go with the hardibacker being anything else is so hard to find and pricey!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky