.what kind of ribs are st louis style ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leggomieggo10

Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
like what meat would i look for at publix (grocery store) to make some st louis style ribs??

St. Louis ribs are just spare ribs that have been trimmed to remove the extra piece of meat with the riblets on the thick end of the rack.  There is a great tutorial on this site somewhere.  Just do a search and you will find it.  Good luck.

icon_cool.gif

Well the first thing you do is get out of Publix's and go somewhere else. They are really proud of their meat too. I would look at maybe a Winn Dixie or Sam's (not all sam's have good meat) or even Wally World. Those places will have better prices then publix. What you want to buy is pork spare ribs and some folks here cut them into St. Louis style ribs personaly I don't I leave them whole because that's how I like them. Now that we have that settled can you swing inot Roll Call and introduce yourself and your equipment for us. 

im not a fan of walmart or winn dixie meat. an i did do some searching, i went through 10 pages an found nothing, i did find the 321 method which is what im going to do, but nothing on where to get the meat an all that good stuff. ive posted on here a few times already.

pork spare ribs, can i just get the butcher trim them??

I used to manage the sporting goods dept. in a Wal Mart, so I'm familiar with their meat.  Here where I live the Sam's Club has very good meats and the Wal Mart meats suck.    don't know how it is in other areas, but you might give Sam's a try.

Quote:
im not a fan of walmart or winn dixie meat. an i did do some searching, i went through 10 pages an found nothing, i did find the 321 method which is what im going to do, but nothing on where to get the meat an all that good stuff. ive posted on here a few times already.

pork spare ribs, can i just get the butcher trim them??

Check out this Wiki courtesy of bbally... It gives you a step by step on how to turn your spares into St. Louis style

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wi...louis-rib-rack-a-pictorial-tutorial-by-bbally

thanks for the link. i would like to try sams but im broke an cant afford the stupid membership fee lol.

Most sams will give you a free one day trial membership . Hint Hint.

No idea where you are located but if you have iga or  assciated grocers in your area they usually have great meat at great prices

free one day pass huh??ill def be looking into that,

as for iga they went outta business down here like 4 yrs ago lol.

so could i just ask the butcher to trim up the ribs to make them st louis style??

yea a butcher can do it but make sure ya get all the trimmings .He will charge you weight b4 trimming .

Smoke the trimmings and either snack on them or use them in beans.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky