What kind of charcoal does everyone use

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by ugaboz, Jun 13, 2010.

1. ugaboz

ugaboz Smoking Fanatic

i use the competition charcoal by kingsford, should i change

2. 5lakes

5lakes Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I use Kingsford in the blue bag. I keep trying Royal Oak lump, but haven't been successful with it, yet. It's getting better as I try different combinations of lit/unlit and patterns. Royal Oak will eventually replace the Kingsford for me.

3. cliffcarter

cliffcarter Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I use Royal Oak lump for BBQ and Sam's Choice for grilling . I tried Comp K when it first came out and liked it, but it is too expensive for me to use regularly.

If you are grilling with Comp K you will be fine, the high heat that you get from it is excellent, If you are smoking with it you may get an isuue with ash build up choking off the fire on long cooks.

4. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    right now best of the west.........$15 for 40 lbs. "ONO" is my favorite next to "the good one"

5. lugnutz

lugnutz Smoking Fanatic

believe it or not I've been usin briqs from the local supermarket sold under Sur-Fine  its kinda like Best Choice and other store brands.  I've been very happy with it but I'm pretty easy to make happy.  I do have a bag of RO that I'm gonna try soon.

6. ugaboz

ugaboz Smoking Fanatic

what coals have the least amount of ash

7. ddave

ddave Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I use Kingsford Comp as well.  I think you will have a hard time finding a different charcoal that makes less ash without going to a lump.

Dave

8. I only use lump charcoal usually "cowboy" brand little more expensive but very reliable in all weather conditions.

9. controlfade

controlfade Fire Starter

I use a brand called Wicked Good Charcoal it's a very dense lump that burns a long time . It's a little costly at $23 a bag but by far the best lump I have ever used.

10. bob1961

bob1961 Smoking Fanatic

i use the regular kingsford that home depot carries with two 20 pound bags for 16 bucks..........bob

11. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I use Basques lump charcoal. It's made from Sugar maple. Occasionally I'll use Maple Leaf which is a mix of Maple Birch and Beech, but I find that the bits can be rather small at times.

12. ricky b

ricky b Newbie

I use Ozard Oak that is made right here in Arkansas. I thing I pay 3.99 for 10lb sack. I use it for my green egg. On the big smoker back home I use good season oak with a burn barrel. Rick

13. Royal Oak Lump - red bag

coffee_junkie likes this.
  14. coffee_junkie

coffee_junkie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

+1, I also use Kingsford Comp, I have better luck with the Royal Oak, less ash and burns longer in my UDS

15. silverwolf636

silverwolf636 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I'm a Malli's Lump Charcoal kinda person myself. It burns hot and long. I hardly ever find any foreign objects in it then it was a stone or two.

--ray--

(0||||0)

16. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Propane out the white bottle.

17. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

I use A large coffee can in my gas converted ecb with the opening covered in foil with A few holes poked in it. I end up with perfect charcoal lump, usually apple in my neck of the woods. After A few smokes I have enough for the weber. It is the best coal I have ever used and creates very little ash.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  18. tnbarbq

tnbarbq Fire Starter

I use Best Choice lump, which is made by RO.  Have also used Kroger lump.  Don't know who makes it but it's ok.  I avoid briquets due to the amount of ash produced.

19. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Right now it's RO or Blue bag for me, whatever is on sale. I tried the Brigford Comp and it's good and hot but expensive. I don't care about ash production I just sweep out my UDS before the next batch of smoked goodness. [​IMG]

20. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

RO lump (American made) has produced the least amount of ash so far in my experience..

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010