What is the shelf life cryo-vac pork belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
I have read that Costcos cryo-vac brisket can wet age 30+ days. What is the shelf life for the cry-vac pork belly??

Reactions: jcam222
You can wet age a cryo brisket if: 1) you know the kill date (this is printed on the case-boxes themselves), and 2) you select the brisket from the walk-in cooler stock, not from the meat case (it's usually about 38°), and 3) your refrigerator is in the 27° to 30° range.

The same will apply to a pork belly, but I don't think you will get the same advantage as you do for brisket. Now if you just want to buy bellies on sale tomorrow and then cook or cure in a couple of weeks, this will be fine. Freezing a belly is fine too, just slow thaw when you get ready to use them.

Reactions: jcam222
I wouldn't advise wet-aging pork. To me, it's like chicken and should be used as fresh as possible. I've had a few cryo packages of ribs with bad odors when I cut them open, that I've either tossed or brought back to the store.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky