What is the deal on salt in rubs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indygreg

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
 i have some dino bones to do this weekend and i am wondering if i should try something other than jeffs rub.  when i think of beef i think of lawry's seasoning on prime rib.  coating beef with sugar seems a bit odd to me so i was wondering if i should try some kind of salt based rub to bring out the flavor of the beef but i searched on salt rub and got a bunch of hits on no salt rubs. does it dry out the meat to use a rub with too much salt in it?  what would happen if you sprinkled ribs with lawrys salt and smoked them?  would they come out tasting more like prime rib or would the dry up an blow away?

thanks,

greg

Salt is such a common ingredient in rubs that it is seldom listed as a Salt Rub.  No Salt Rubs are unique and would be searchable.  Try a search for Beef Rubs or Beef Rib Rubs

When I do beef I just put some EVOO then Montreal steak seasoning & pepper on. If you like Lawry's then that's what I'd use.

I'm with the others
yeahthat.gif

There is generally alot of salt in most rubs already, but you can always just add whatever you want even if it is just Lawry's. Man that Montreal is delicious though. That's whats great about this hobby. If you don't like it, you get to try again!

When I do beef I just put some EVOO then Montreal steak seasoning & pepper on. If you like Lawry's then that's what I'd use.

I'm with Al

When I did my Dino Bones, I tried Montreal Steak Seasoning in 1 rack and some steak rub on the other.  The rack with Montreal Steak Seasoning was by far the better of the 2.

A lot of BBQ is trial and error, to find what you like and dislike

Try a couple different seasonings, so you have something to compare to.

Your choice of wood to smoke with will also affect the flavor.  I tend to use fruit woods like Apple or Maple rather than Hickory or Mesquite, but it's personal preference.

Todd

Last edited:
I have been using" dales steak seasoning" lately. Its a liquid just rub you some on about 2 hrs. before you are going to smoke...Great flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky