what is the coldest temp you smoked at?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ravenclan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 8, 2009
Newalla,Oklahoma
well this morning in Oklahoma i woke up to sleet , freezing rain and now snow !

but i still plan on smoking some thing today after work.

I have smoked in -10 degree weather with about 3 feet of snow on the ground for a New Years Eve Party . We really wanted ribs and a Brisket !!

I went to the store and dug in the dumpster for a box big enough to go over my smoker. that kept the wind out and it finally heated up .

Reactions: SonnyE
-27F ambient, before the wind chill was factored in. In a well insulated Cookshack electric that took a little longer than normal to come to temp, but all went well.

Stay warm up there in Oklahoma! I'm somewhat embarrassed to say, but the coldest temp I've smoked in was 22, that was with the windchill. Ambient was 32, lucky my smoker held temp well, just took a while to get up to temp!

Last cold smoke run was a night run.
It got way down to the 40's. :confused:
But in California freezing is 60°.... Just ask anybody. o_O

Yesterday I was "cold smokin" some seasonings for an experiment.
It got up to 81°, but my smoker stayed down in the low 90's.
The S-P-G-O-and Cyan did good.
:p

This past January 6th was mine. Air temp was -11 in central Indiana not sure what the wind chill was. Wrapped the traeger in a welding blanket and a wool moving blanket and it did a real nice job. The things we will do for family.

Can't say for sure how cold it was, but I remember a few times where my nostril hairs and mustache were frozen solid.

Chris

Christmas day it was -5° with a high of 3°. I have an enclosure around my smoker, there was no wind and the smoker sits on the south side of the garage so it was in the sun. I made a 10# prime rib. It took a little longer than I thought but no big deal.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
New years eve here in connecticut. We had to light a kettle just to keep our beers from freezing over. Wind chill was in the negative teens. It was full carhartt gear.

I went to the store and dug in the dumpster for a box big enough to go over my smoker. that kept the wind out and it finally heated up .

For those interested the best place to get boxes big enough to protect smokers from the wind is an appliance store. Just ask for washer, dryer, refrigerator/ etc. boxes before they cut them up for the recycle bin. They are usually happy to give you whatever you need.

Beats digging in a dumpster. I have a couple dryer boxes and they work great whenever I need them to stop the wind.

John

Reactions: Locomotive Breath
Well for me it would be in the 50's with a 20-25 MPH wind out of the North, but that is cold down here.
I remember I used a lot more fuel than usual, even though the smoker was in an area protected from the wind.
I know most of you would be in t-shirts, shorts, & flip flops.
But when you get used to the heat, you don't do well in the cold!
I had long pants, long sleeved shirt, & a winter jacket on.
Al

For me it was about +5°, but that was a few years ago, when I could still take it.

Bear

-17 was the coldest I actually saw the temp, I'm sure I've gone colder, just didn't bother looking. The 17 below morning I was stacking bricks around my smoker to hold the heat in, kept it there ever sense.

Back in the day...
:)

...in Minnesota, I smoked Christmas hams and Thanksgiving turkeys at or around the 0 degree mark. It wasn't easy, and we wound up smoking it the best we could - then finishing the baking indoors. Always fun!

-31*C , -39*C with the wind chill is the coldest I have documented a smoke at. I could be as low as -40 though. I have a photo of me bbqing at -57*C with the wind chill somewhere on my old hard drive.

-31*C , -39*C with the wind chill is the coldest I have documented a smoke at. I could be as low as -40 though. I have a photo of me bbqing at -57*C with the wind chill somewhere on my old hard drive.
Yes i can relate living in manitiba.-30C in middle of winter is norm around here. Done it many times. Lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky