what if i use to much cure,

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elkmaster101

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Well I really did it now, just ruined 38 pounds of deer-pork grindings

I put in to much cure.

yes this is only my beginning venture into the world of batching up meats.

I suppose Ii should through it thru and read up on it.

figured if a little was good then a little more would be great 

I ate some last night it was saltier than cra------ and today i keep burping up this god offall taste.

feel sick to my stomac

want to lie down and go to sleep.

Do i just through the rest away?

Just how much cure did you use?  If this is your first batch you could have made any number of mistakes.  Why not post the recipe you used and let us take a look at it?

Just how much cure did you use?  If this is your first batch you could have made any number of mistakes.  Why not post the recipe you used and let us take a look at it?

I'm with Al, Let use know what ya did and we can help ya out.

It all depends on just how much too much you used and  what kind.... I spoke with a friend at Animal Science at the collage when I started making sausage. He said that you would need to ingest 2 or 3 time what is recommended depending on what cure you are using, but I'm thinking what meateater said is a better though,  get rid of the rest and if you are not feeling better go to the Dr to get checked out....better safe than sorry...hope you feel better soon.

Last edited:
Morton tender quick mix.

about half the bag.

the sausage recipe is a premix.

and right now i don't have the package in front of me so i can't say who manufactured it.

Don't recall if there was anything mentioned on the package that suggested it had a preservative in it.

I think my next time, which will be in two weeks i will batch my own,

maybe some of you could help me out with some exact portion recipes for deer/pork mix.

Anyway I tossed it all out last night. and called the people I had given some packages to,

explained what I had done and told them to throw it away.

at the time also I smoked 4 turkeys,

again new at this ,

using the same Morton's is covered the turkeys with this,

then placed them in plastic bags Dbl bagged. and stuck them in the refrigerator for

4 days turning them over every day.

then placed them in a large plastic tub and submerged them in fresh water and l washed them off.

then smoked them at a cold smoke,

using a wood burning fire box which sit down behind my smoke house 15'-0 away,

held a low mod. temp. for 5 hours.

about 2 hours into the cold smoke, i loaded up the rest of the sausages, Bologna's, sticks,

and 4 pheasants

brought the internal temp of the meat to around 115 deg.

then slowly let the smoke fire die out while i cranked up the propane fire.

in another 4 hours or so my 2 1/2 sausages reached internal temp of 160 deg +

but prior to that I checked with a quick temp probe on the smaller dia. stuff.

and as it reached 160+ i pulled it out.

after 14 hour in the smoker my turkeys reached 170 deg.

I shut the smoker off and let the turkeys stay in the smoker over might.

the temp out side dropped into the upper thirty's

but the smoker was still warm internally.

one of the turkeys was consumed already, the review was great and know one got sick.

but was I just lucky?

Should I have used a brine and sugar based Morton? 

liquid saturation of the bird?

I want to become an excellent smoker,

by the way I used Butternut Wood.

a huge branch came down this spring.

i plan to cut it up as i need it.

cut wafers off a 6" log 1/2" thick (wow ) does that smoke.

By soaking the turkeys in water you probably diluted/washed off most of the Morton tender quick mix . I usually like to brine my turkeys so the liquid has time to infuse the into the meat and get all the way through. As far as your turkeys go, I really don't think that you have a problem.  There is a lethality chart (try Goggling it) that tells you is how long something needs to be cooked and at what temp to kill all the bacteria in it. That is where the 170 deg. comes from and sounds right for a turkey.  I don't really cold smoke, so I'm not really sure how much I can help.  I would reread the directions on the cure do a little more research on different types and ways to cure, cure can be toxic if not   handled correctly. I know,  I don’t want to be sick or cause someone else to get sick for something that I did. I’m not telling you this to scare you off from using it, but after little research I personally have a better respect for it now.  One of the most important things to remember is keep your meat as cold/cool as possible while working with it. That is where you will pick up most of your bacteria that will grow while you are cold smoking. Hope this helps SB 

icon_cool.gif

I'm with the big dogs Dan an Al with which cure did you use.???

Not to sound over critical  or hurt your feelings Elkmaster but if you don't do your research you could hurt someone bad. The good news is if you use tenderquick, there's so much dang salt in the mix you can't eat enough to kill ya.

If you used a premix sausage seasoning, chances are it had cure in it, unless of course it was for a fresh sausage. I find  most pre packed seasonings are already to salty, and to add the additional salt from the TQ, (and the extra cure) was poor planning or no planning at all. Cured sausage making is more of a science  then it is a hobby.

.The good news is there's a ton of people that do what you want to do all the time. so advise is only a post away. Slow it down and tell us what you want to make and we will walk you thru it. In the mean time, if ya got 2 weeks till ya want to try it again , do some searches for what you're looking. Looking forward to your questions and Q-view

Dan

thanks,

I'm going to do just that take shorter steps---slllloooooowwwww way down.

I know after consuming what i did and got the feeling of dieing, it was scary.

from now on read first then dump.

just a little upset with myself.

wasted a good deer, and had to have a recall on my meat.

not good.

I'll try to figure out what i want to do,

do any of you have a good recipe i should try?

would like to make a good summer sausage.

plan flavor,

jalapeno flavor,

and black pepper flavor.

batches would be in the 15 lb range.

2 1/2" logs couple lbs each.

my smoker has a clay tile flue leading up to the smoke house.

it defuses some of the heat away and into the surrounding soil before it gets to the smoke house.

this is of course with a moderate fire say to stand at a good burn for 1 1/2 hours unattended.

of course your can jump the heat transfer up by increasing the fire to a gentle roar.

but that defeats the purpose.

it will smoke at a good 135 deg wit no problems and opening or closing the flu will also monitor the heat.

but to get a cool 105 to 110 smoke for say for 1 1/2 hours

it just takes a log 6" X 2'-0 cut in wafers 1/2 to 3/4" thick and the sawdust and your there.

I use green / seasoned wood for 4 months.

so what do you think of Butter wood.

it smells Delicious

I've never had butternut wood. It grow's around here but have yet to get a sample  to try it. I bet it's like a pecan if I had to guess, and thats some good stuff

Not to sound over critical  or hurt your feelings Elkmaster but if you don't do your research you could hurt someone bad. The good news is if you use tenderquick, there's so much dang salt in the mix you can't eat enough to kill ya.

If you used a premix sausage seasoning, chances are it had cure in it, unless of course it was for a fresh sausage. I find  most pre packed seasonings are already to salty, and to add the additional salt from the TQ, (and the extra cure) was poor planning or no planning at all. Cured sausage making is more of a science  then it is a hobby.

.The good news is there's a ton of people that do what you want to do all the time. so advise is only a post away. Slow it down and tell us what you want to make and we will walk you thru it. In the mean time, if ya got 2 weeks till ya want to try it again , do some searches for what you're looking. Looking forward to your questions and Q-view

Dan

What Dan said---exactly.

Slow down!

One or two steps at a time---we will all help.

TQ comes in 2 pound bags. If you used half the bag, that was enough for 64 pounds of sausage, or 32 pounds of dry-cured Bacon, if there wasn't already cure in the premix you had (and there probably was).

If you want to cure or smoke something, just type in the words, and do a search on how others did it. Anything on there you don't understand, ask us. Then write down a plan of attack. You can run that by us too. Then when you know what you're gonna do----GO FOR IT!

We feel good, because we helped another guy into this great world of smoked meats, and you feel good because you're not sick, and you didn't kill anybody!

Bear

Thanks to all of you,

it still hurts to throw good meat away.

especially when you put so much time into it.

starts with setting up you plan of attack / ambushing the deer.

I'm a long time bow hunter.

have been cutting my own meat to going on 45 years.

just never smoked it on my own before other than in a Binkman.

New at mass production.

I built my little 6'x6' walk-in smoker 4 weeks ago.

that's what i do for a living design, create, dream, build,typically on a much larger scale.

oh ya i don't want to for get HUNT.

I sent a little letter out to my friends.

I'm hopping with the knowledge I'm seeing here on this site.

And the professional experts that you are, that I will be able to share some of your favorite experiences with others.

the prof will be in the final product. 

The Deer Drop Inn Butcher Shop is now open,

We processed and smoked two deer this weekend,

Officially tested our new walk-in smoker &

Opened the our doors to the facility to family and friends.

Our logo is .   If you gut them,  Smoke em.

Open 24/7 for your connivance.

You supply the: The meat

The mix / recipes and materials

The labor / cutting, grinding, mixing and stuffing

The packaging, plastic bags, wrapping paper, plastic wrap, Tape.  

The cleaning/ Wash down area after job is complete

And the beer.

We will supply the conveyance of our shop

w /misc. equipment.

We will;  Help you as needed to consume your beer

Help you smoke your meat, tend the fire.

And sample the finished product.

The Deer Drop Inn Butcher Shop.  

Last edited:
Good luck with the next batch, I have never used Tender Quik, i prefer to use instacure #1 for all my sausage.  I make a couple hundred pounds a year and never a problem.  Make sure if you have questions to ask, there is a vast amount of knowledge here to help you out.  Good luck

Good luck with the next batch, I have never used Tender Quik, i prefer to use instacure #1 for all my sausage.  I make a couple hundred pounds a year and never a problem.  Make sure if you have questions to ask, there is a vast amount of knowledge here to help you out.  Good luck
Smokingnd,

It's a good thing Elkmaster was using Tender Quick, instead of instacure #1. Since he used TQ, it was way too salty to eat enough to make him really really sick, or even kill him!

He could have eaten a lot more if it was instacure #1. That is a very big safety feature that TQ has, and the others don't.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky