What else would be good to smoke with Salmon at a low 150 degrees and using fruitwood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jeff32836

Original poster
Nov 11, 2022
What else would be good to smoke with Salmon at a low 150 degrees and using fruitwood?

1) Most of my smoking has been for meat at temperatures of 225+ degrees. Was thinking cheese, but 150 degrees is too high for that. Maybe vegetables, peppers, smoked salt, Mac and cheese? Any suggestion for what to smoke at that low temp would be appreciated.

2) I was also gonna smoke a 3.5 lb pork butt. Should I smoke the pork butt with the salmon using the fruitwood at 150-175 degrees for a couple hours and then after I remove the salmon, increase the temp and add some hickory?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reactions: Dave in AZ

1) Most of my smoking has been for meat at temperatures of 225+ degrees. Was thinking cheese, but 150 degrees is too high for that. Maybe vegetables, peppers, smoked salt, Mac and cheese? Any suggestion for what to smoke at that low temp would be appreciated.

2) I was also gonna smoke a 3.5 lb pork butt. Should I smoke the pork butt with the salmon using the fruitwood at 150-175 degrees for a couple hours and then after I remove the salmon, increase the temp and add some hickory?

Thanks for any suggestions!
I was gonna say pork butt. Do some 1.5 or 2" slices, dump in a brine marinade. If you're cooking in a day or so, then do 1.2 to 1.5% salt and sugar, maybe some garlic, and 1/3 teaspoon or 1.9g per litre of water (1kg). If you're doing it today, double the salt and sugar.

The cure1 is optional, but will give you a ham/bacon kind of flavor from that long smoke with the fruitwood, you'll love it. I gave you the low bacon dosage, but it doesn't matter much as very little will be picked up in 1 or 2 days, just a nice pink outer rim. Basically you'll get a strong thick smoke ring and a great flavor!

I wouldn't even use smoke when done the fruitwood, just increase temp to 250 or 300 until internal is 155 to 160, you will live that coppa pork/ham steak!

I'll chime in on the cheese. You can't smoke that at 150 unless you want cheese dip for your end result. Cold smoke your cheese keeping it at 80 and below

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky