What doing this to wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
First went to cover the RecTec back up this morning and huge rat turds on it. It a constant battle in my shop. Than go in shop and see this: What is doing it?

20210613_072615.jpg 20210613_072623.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: flatbroke
If that is wood dust it could be termites. I would cut into it & see if there are any termites inside.
Al

First thought they came from old maple stump right by shop and it rotted to the point you can step right through it. Need to figure out how to get rid of it. Might be able to use shovel at this point. I have other pecan limbs and nothing on them. These where the last ones I picked up. Talked to my buddy and hes says just burn them and probably be OK. Now on to the Rat problem. I so tired of them.

I update my Pop's Magic injection thread instead of starting new one if want to check it out.

Could be carpenter ants.
For the rats, I've had good results Tom Cat brand rat traps.
Since you have dogs, don't use poison pellets on the rats.

Big sticky rat traps.
A cat "may" keep them at bay if would get along with your dogs?
I have those. Tried as last resort when I had one in the house. He got out of 2 of them in the same night. Finally got him with electric one. Every time I think I have them licked starts over. I moved my 2 electric ones out there. I have gotten a real hate for those bastards!

Reactions: Winterrider
The first pic looks like Roots growing through, what is that Dry Wall?

We live in the mountains surrounded by forest. Not many Rats but Mice would be an issue if we didn't have a few Cats running around the house. Its a Hoot watching 5 cats in a semicircle in front of the Stove or Refer, stalking a mouse!...JJ

The first pic looks like Roots growing through, what is that Dry Wall?
No that just some old panel board I through down to cover up holes in floor. You know I thing those squirrel droppings on smoker but still have problem in shop. Squirrels feed from my bird feeder. They keep Gretchen entertained. I opened up front door few days ago and one was at door.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Do you see any small wings (termite) laying around in unused spaces of the shop/garage (ie, window seals, corners and such) ??

But whatever it is.. I would get it and all the rest of the wood and get it as far away from my home/garages/shops as possible and burn it in a camp fire ... As quickly as possible ...

but that's just me ...

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky