• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

what does everyone wrap with

Jersey Jimbo

Joined Oct 26, 2020
some say butcher paper, some say aluminum foil. What is the choice that most people use here. I have tried both the foil keeps the juices within the foil, the paper does absorb a lot of the juices. I am still trying to figure this one out, that's why I will ask here to hear from the elite smokers here compared to me

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Mostly paper, but sometimes foil, depends on the task.
If I want to braise something with added liquid, lots of butter or honey or whatever that paper won't hold well, then it's aluminum foil.
Everything else that gets wrapped gets the paper.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
Lots of liquid then foil everything else paper.

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Yup if you are saving or adding juice's foil. I don't wrap though. The only thing I ever wrapped was some beef ribs.

Warren

Chasdev

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Foil, period.
Used to use paper, still have a ton in the closet, but foil from now on.
HEB, a Texas grocery chain, came out with a super heavy duty foil that is double thickness, which is all I use now.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
The only time I wrap is if the stall lasts more than an hour or two depending on how I'm feeling that day.
( FUBAR'D back and neck)
Then it's normally wrapped with pink butcher paper if I have it, if not it's wrapped or placed in a foil pan and covered tightly with no air gap around the meat.

tag0401

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 5, 2018
Like most have said it depends on what I want to do. I use paper mostly except for ribs I foil.

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
I never wrap ribs of any kind with anything.

Paper gives butts and briskets a nicer bark than foil, but I usually don't bother wrapping with either, unless...

I need drippings for the freezer to use in soups, stews, and chilis, then a double wrap with HD foil with a cup or so of broth works best for me.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I use mostly foil pans covered in heavy duty foil. Occasionally I’ll wrap brisket in paper instead.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Lots of alternatives, and you are right.... the finish is pretty important. Go naked, foil is a tool not a rule .
ZD1UFKy.jpg

The foil boat accomplishes a little buffer while still giving you the unwrapped finish and the option to capture some juices.
Qno3998.jpg
Once peach paper is saturated with fat, it holds a lot of liquid, it might appear delicate, but it's somewhat sturdy.
GPCiXmC.jpg
If you save juices or want a light braising effect, try a foil bottom and peach paper top (roll the foil and paper at the same time for the seal)
vwAtWlx.jpg
And if you want to dial in the tenderness, or get a fall-of-the-bone rib or a soft pulled pork butt.... a foil wrap will do the trick. A LOT of people like shoulder and ribs cooked like this. Whether you do or not...., it's all about kudos from your guests.
IbGplO2.jpg
One tip, high altitude is not favorable to peach paper. Foil works better because water boils at 203° at my house and paper doesn't allow for a tenderizing braise to happen.

Jersey Jimbo

Joined Oct 26, 2020
thanks for all the replies. So if it is a fatty piece use foil or if your putting wet rubs in it otherwise paper, great info here

cowolter

Joined Nov 1, 2020
I have been using foil since I started this crazy hobby....over five years. In the last year or so I took the plunge and have used butcher paper for brisket, ribs and shoulder.
I am never going back to foil.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
The only time I wrap is if I need to get the meat done quicker. Then I use mostly foil, except for brisket, for that I use paper.
Al

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.