what does everyone wrap with

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jersey Jimbo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
At the Shore
some say butcher paper, some say aluminum foil. What is the choice that most people use here. I have tried both the foil keeps the juices within the foil, the paper does absorb a lot of the juices. I am still trying to figure this one out, that's why I will ask here to hear from the elite smokers here compared to me

Foil, period.
Used to use paper, still have a ton in the closet, but foil from now on.
HEB, a Texas grocery chain, came out with a super heavy duty foil that is double thickness, which is all I use now.

The only time I wrap is if the stall lasts more than an hour or two depending on how I'm feeling that day.
( FUBAR'D back and neck)
Then it's normally wrapped with pink butcher paper if I have it, if not it's wrapped or placed in a foil pan and covered tightly with no air gap around the meat.

Like most have said it depends on what I want to do. I use paper mostly except for ribs I foil.

I never wrap ribs of any kind with anything.

Paper gives butts and briskets a nicer bark than foil, but I usually don't bother wrapping with either, unless...

I need drippings for the freezer to use in soups, stews, and chilis, then a double wrap with HD foil with a cup or so of broth works best for me.

Reactions: sandyut
I use mostly foil pans covered in heavy duty foil. Occasionally I’ll wrap brisket in paper instead.

Lots of alternatives, and you are right.... the finish is pretty important. Go naked, foil is a tool not a rule .
ZD1UFKy.jpg

The foil boat accomplishes a little buffer while still giving you the unwrapped finish and the option to capture some juices.
Qno3998.jpg
Once peach paper is saturated with fat, it holds a lot of liquid, it might appear delicate, but it's somewhat sturdy.
GPCiXmC.jpg
If you save juices or want a light braising effect, try a foil bottom and peach paper top (roll the foil and paper at the same time for the seal)
vwAtWlx.jpg
And if you want to dial in the tenderness, or get a fall-of-the-bone rib or a soft pulled pork butt.... a foil wrap will do the trick. A LOT of people like shoulder and ribs cooked like this. Whether you do or not...., it's all about kudos from your guests.
IbGplO2.jpg
One tip, high altitude is not favorable to peach paper. Foil works better because water boils at 203° at my house and paper doesn't allow for a tenderizing braise to happen.

thanks for all the replies. So if it is a fatty piece use foil or if your putting wet rubs in it otherwise paper, great info here

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky