What do you guys do when you are having troubles getting your AMazeNSmoker going?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
I have been having issues getting my A Maze N Smoker going and staying lit. I am thinking I have some damp sawdust that is why it won't stay lit. If I remember right I think I read you can either put the dust in the microwave for a while or in the oven. Just wanted to see what you have found works the best. Tonight I was smoking some cheese and I had to light the dust 4-5 times. I need to make sure I dry out my cheery bag next time before I use it.

Last edited:
I read where some guys were putting it in the microwave for 1 minute. I will have to do the same on my next smoke also, last smoke I was having trouble getting my stash to burn.

I dont have that issue here either but the solutions I have seen and think would work are the oven or microwave. I am sure Todd will be along soon

I see a pattern here, based on locations alone...it all has to do with relative humidity:

I have been having issues getting my A Maze N Smoker going and staying lit. I am thinking I have some damp sawdust that is why it won't stay lit. If I remember right I think I read you can either put the dust in the microwave for a while or in the oven. Just wanted to see what you have found works the best. Tonight I was smoking some cheese and I had to light the dust 4-5 times. I need to make sure I dry out my cheery bag next time before I use it.
I grew up in Dickinson, opposite end of the state from Fargo...I grew to hate the summer weather there...you could be soaked in sweat all day long and most of the night due to the humidity.

damp wood..........doesn't happen 'round these parts.
Arid desert, even lower humidity than where I live now @ 4,900 ft elevation and 15-30% humidity.

I read where some guys were putting it in the microwave for 1 minute. I will have to do the same on my next smoke also, last smoke I was having trouble getting my stash to burn.
Humidity doesn't get much worse than where you are, does it?

I'd do the nuke-box or oven...warm smoker spread thin on a cookie sheet for a few minutes if nothing else. Also, find an air tight plastic container to store it in once it's dried and cooled off. Should be fine after that, I would think.

I gotta remember this stuff, 'cause cold smoking may be in some of my near future projects.

Eric

Last edited:
Quote:

Hey Ross,

Sorry for the issues, but 99% of the time, it's the moisture content of the sawdust.  When I get the sawdust, it's around 8% moisture content, but we had almost a month of high humidity and thunderstorms almost every day.  Sawdust can easily absorb moisture and just as easily release it.  It seems that the guys in drier climates have no issues, and we, in humid areas have to take a step to dry the sawdust.  NWDave lives out in Washington, and nukes his sawdust every time he uses his smoker, just to insure he has no issues.

Oven Test:

I placed 1# of sawdust in the oven @ 275* to dry, and checked the weight after 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes, weighed 14.5 ounces, or in other words dissipated about 10% of it's total weight as moisture.  I kept it in the oven for another 2 hours, and checked it every 30 minutes, but no difference in weight.  All moisture was dissipated in the first 30 minutes.

I left the 14.5 oz. of sawdust on the counter overnight, and the next morning, to my surprise, the sawdust gained almost 1 ounce overnight, just from sitting in the counter. Poured some in a AMNS, started with a mico torch and it burned completely.

Microwave Test:

I poured 3 cups of sawdust into a bowl, and nuked it for 60 seconds.  Took the bowl out and gave it a stir to release the moisture.  Placed it in the nuker for another 60 seconds, removed it and again, gave it a stir to release any moisture.  Filled up an AMNS, started it and it burned completely.

If any of you guys have questions or concerns, my phone is always on!!!

Hope this helps!

Todd

(952)412-0484

Last edited:
One thing that may also help is to get the dust out of plastic bags and into juice jugs. I took all my bags and emptied them into old OJ and Cranberry Jugs that seal better than the bags do. I dont have a humidity issue here but I think that might help if I did and it is way easier to load the AMS with the jugs vs the bags.

I put mine in empty juice jugs (with a funnel). Once I get mine lit "right", it has never gone out on me.

Southeast PA is not exactly a "Dry" place. The last time I used my smoker, it was very foggy out, and I could hear the power lines in the distance sizzling from the moisture in the air.

I was thinking of making a movie---Calling it "Griller in the Mist".

The biggest thing is make sure it is lit properly before you put it in the smoker. Give it a few minutes to be sure (blow on the "cigar cherry" if you have to).

My two cents,

Bear

Microwave for a minute works great for me, it's fast and easy. I had problems during the summer here in south Georgia, but now that the humidity isn't such a big issue it lights just fine. As far as the jugs go
icon_eek.gif
 I don't drink juice so that's not an option. I've got plenty of Grey Goose bottles though!
icon_mrgreen.gif

I'll get that for you Scar:

It depends on the size of the jugs.

Small, Medium, or Dolly Parton???
Didnt Dolly go for a reduction?  Todd I can help. Ship half to me and half to Bear and you wont have to worry about it. We got it covered

. I've got plenty of Grey Goose bottles though!
icon_mrgreen.gif

I knew there was something special about you!

Breakfast = Screwdriver or Bloody Mary

Lunch= Vodka Tonic - easy tonic

Dinner= Dry Martini without the vermouth

Just to name a few favorites

09221adc_bottoms-up1.gif

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I will try the microwave trick next time and that should fix me up. I have used my A Maze several times without any issues so I am fairly sure its a moisture issue and the microwave should fix that. I Just wanted to hear the different methods you can use to dry them out.

U take that back!!!   Dolly would never get a reduction, took to many enlargements to get there!!!  
icon_mrgreen.gif

I actually saw an interview with her that she was considering it due to back problems
e9011a81_noidea1.gif

If you preheat your smoker, put the dust on a thick sheet of alum foil and set it in the smoker during preheat.  Save energy be green, and eat lots of pork.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about selling empty bottles for storage.

Gonna name my new product "A-MAZE-N-JUGS"

LOL!!!!

TJ

I put mine in empty juice jugs (with a funnel). Once I get mine lit "right", it has never gone out on me.

Southeast PA is not exactly a "Dry" place. The last time I used my smoker, it was very foggy out, and I could hear the power lines in the distance sizzling from the moisture in the air.

I was thinking of making a movie---Calling it "Griller in the Mist".

The biggest thing is make sure it is lit properly before you put it in the smoker. Give it a few minutes to be sure (blow on the "cigar cherry" if you have to).

My two cents,

Bear
I think your movie title should be "Squirrels in the mist!"
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky