What are you smoking for the 4th?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I actually do. I was thinking just ole beef shanks, but I imagine the methods and times will be the same. Smoke for 3-4 hours at 275f. Then per the stuff I read, you chuck it into the pot with braising ingredients. Cover well, put it back into the smoker for 2-3 hours more.

As for seasoning and all, I will leave that to you. There's so many methods for Osso Buco seasonings...I'm thinking SPOG for the meat on it's own though. OssoBuco.

Personally I'm not sure I'd run them at 275f for 4 hours. Depends on the fat to meat ratio and how big the bone is...also most of the stuff I read leans towards a milder smoke. If you do it before I do you better post plenty of pics ;)

Edit; I forgot to link this- https://girlscangrill.com/recipe/beef/smoked-osso-buco/
The blogger uses a pellet grill, but I believe even with my MES I could do this, as you really simmer ossobuco vs flat out boil.

Thank you - I will let you know!

Hmmm, in the last 30 days I've smoked a turkey, several tri tips, spare ribs, a boneless chuck roast, and beef short ribs (yesterday). Looks like I need to pick up a couple chickens to start brining today. Got all the fixin's for my version of Dutch's beans, too. SWMBO'd might have different ideas, so we'll see.

I’m gonna attempt “take 3” with a 13# brisket. This will be the biggest one I’ve tried so I’m gonna start smoking Tuesday night and attempt to stay up with it, we’ll see how that goes, haha.

Reactions: briggy
Lord only knows with a brisket. My last one stayed on for 17 hours and I am certain it could have gone a bit longer. I do hope that we can eat before it gets dark again. I plan on starting about midnight.

George
I hear you. I did my first brisket last year. It hit the stall at around 4 pm and the thermometer didn't budge until after midnight. My mistake for getting started late!

Good luck & have a great holiday

Lord only knows with a brisket. My last one stayed on for 17 hours and I am certain it could have gone a bit longer. I do hope that we can eat before it gets dark again. I plan on starting about midnight.

George
I had my 31 hour brisket. My family voted I'm an uptight tired grouch when I smoke things overnight... LOL. <It actually took that long because I screwed up with the au jus pan...but hey. I would like to think I invented fool proof probe tender Brisket ..>

I am going to make my first try at St. Louis ribs. Years ago I first tried ribs at a restaurant and thought they were terrible, all bone and some near unchewable meat like stuff. Never tried ribs again but wife convinced me to give them another chance, saying I just had a bad experience. So we'll see.

Looks like we went from burgers to Baby back ribs on the smoker. Which means I'll smoke a dozen eggs up for spicy devilled eggs too. I gotta find out how many people we are expecting to be around; if I can find a reason I'm unthawing some chicken breasts and rubbing them down with Jerk seasoning I got to smoke in there as well.

Reactions: banderson7474
Almost 30lbs of butts for ladies my wife works with cooking burgers and dogs tomorrow

Attachments

• EED893C2-191F-40F7-A563-7527EA2A8C96.jpeg
    EED893C2-191F-40F7-A563-7527EA2A8C96.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 3
Looks like we went from burgers to Baby back ribs on the smoker. Which means I'll smoke a dozen eggs up for spicy devilled eggs too. I gotta find out how many people we are expecting to be around; if I can find a reason I'm unthawing some chicken breasts and rubbing them down with Jerk seasoning I got to smoke in there as well.
I really need to try the smoked eggs next time I fire the smoker up! I hope I don't forget that again.

Vortex Wings, Hot Links, Mammas Dill-Red's potato salad, Pickled brussel sprouts, Watermelon and Cantaloupe

Pickled eggs and Hot Mammas wont be ready yet... :-(

Did a huge spread on fathers day with brisket, pulled pork, and ribs. Decided to give the smoker a rest tomorrow and do a big low country boil. Pulling out the 50 quart pot and propane burner. Shrimp, Crab Legs, Crawfish, and all the fixins to go in the pot too.

And don't forget the cold beer! Its hot as hell don't want to get dehydrated!

Did a huge spread on fathers day with brisket, pulled pork, and ribs. Decided to give the smoker a rest tomorrow and do a big low country boil. Pulling out the 50 quart pot and propane burner. Shrimp, Crab Legs, Crawfish, and all the fixins to go in the pot too.

OMG! Crawfish! Just cannot get them in Western New York. How I miss them!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan

Oh how I love a low country boil!

Also haven't smoked eggs yet, have to add that to the list.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky