What A-Maze-N-Smoker To Get For Cold Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What do you prefer to use, wood dust or pellets?

The tube will work well and so will the 6x6, however, the 6x6 is for dust, and the tube is for pellets.  Both will provide a very good cold smoke and are easy to operate.

Charlie

I have never used dust or pellets. Is one easier to get my hands on then the other? I guess I would probably go with the cheaper option if they are pretty much the same.

If it's definitely only going to be used for cold smoking, I'd go with the 6 X 6, for dust.

The dust in a 6 X 6 is only good for smoker temps below 200*, but it puts out less heat than pellets, and is easier to light & keep lit.

Bear

If you should choose to use pellets with the AMNPS or AMNTS, those two smoke gens. create a small amount of heat.... more so than the "dust" burner... I found in my MES 30 with the AMNPS, temps could get up to 80-90 degrees inside the smoker.. Then I built the Mail Box mod with aluminum 3" dryer vent tubing connecting the 2... absolutely no temperature rise in the smoker noticed..... I would recommend some sort of "external" box for the smoke gen to cool the smoke...

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to go with the 6X6 and the dust. Can you get the dust for it anywhere besides the a-maze-n site? I have no problem getting it from there just want to know how much I should get since I don't want to run out.

If you are planning to cold smoke say cheese year around then yes for the dust setup.  For this time of year though you can easily get by with a pellet setup.  This past weekend, I smoke a whole bunch of cheese in 50+ temp weather using one of my AMNPS's.  The chamber temp went up to 66*.  Perfect weather/temp.

I like the AMNTS. I have several really good local pellet suppliers. So that was the deciding factor for me. I'd have to order dust. I have both the 12" and 18" I use them mainly for cold smoking, but also use them in my gas smoker for hot smoking too.

I just got the 18" pellet smoker, and like it better than the dust one i got a couple years ago.

That being said I have only used it once so take it for what its worth.

It just seemed easier to light and keep going. Pellets are also more available around here.

Ed

I made my decision and just ordered the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER 6X6. I also order A-MAZE-N-DUST STANDARD - 4LB - Pitmaster's Choice and A-MAZE-N-DUST SPECIALTY - 1LB - Alder. Now I have to sit back and wait.

popcorn.gif

Woot!! Got my A-Maze-N-Smoker and A-Maze-N-Dust in the mail yesterday!! I also got a free pound of oak dust as well. I think I will be set for awhile with 6 pounds of dust. It is suppose to be in the 40's on Sunday. If we end up staying home on Sunday I think I might cold go buy some cheese and cold smoke it.

Woot!! Got my A-Maze-N-Smoker and A-Maze-N-Dust in the mail yesterday!! I also got a free pound of oak dust as well. I think I will be set for awhile with 6 pounds of dust. It is suppose to be in the 40's on Sunday. If we end up staying home on Sunday I think I might cold go buy some cheese and cold smoke it.
That's Great !!!

You're set now!!!

Don't forget the camera!!

Bear

Last edited:
How do you all light your AMNS? I used a lighter and had a heck of a time getting it top light. Still not sure if it is completely lit. It smells kind of smokey around the smoker so I guess that is good. LOL. I have the AMNS sitting in the barrel of my offset smoker. I was going to leave it out there for a few hours and see what happens. I will throw some pics up later if things go well.

How do you all light your AMNS? I used a lighter and had a heck of a time getting it top light. Still not sure if it is completely lit. It smells kind of smokey around the smoker so I guess that is good. LOL. I have the AMNS sitting in the barrel of my offset smoker. I was going to leave it out there for a few hours and see what happens. I will throw some pics up later if things go well.
I use a small Butane torch to light my AMNS (Dust), but I use a Propane torch to light my AMNPS (Pellets).

The propane torch will blow the dust out of the AMNS, and the small butane torch doesn't throw a big enough flame for the AMNPS.

Bear

I use a small Butane torch to light my AMNS (Dust), but I use a Propane torch to light my AMNPS (Pellets).

The propane torch will blow the dust out of the AMNS, and the small butane torch doesn't throw a big enough flame for the AMNPS.

Bear
I'm sure a silly question, but where does one buy a propane torch?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky