What’s Your Avatar?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
''I have no class''

Mine is from the Nascar race at Bristol Tn. Mrs. Danls and I in front of Clint Bowyers Jack Daniels sponsored car (best lookin car I've seen yet)... He was my fav. driver after Mark Martin retired... Jack Daniels is my fav. drink... I do indulge in the sponsors product (responsibly) ...

Reminds me of our old movie lines thread.
"Alright, I'll say it. Because Truman was too much of a p***y wimp to let MacArthur go in there and blow out those commie b*****ds!"

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Reminds me of our old movie lines thread.
"Alright, I'll say it. Because Truman was too much of a p***y wimp to let MacArthur go in there and blow out those commie b*****ds!"
Back when Sam Kinison was on top! That was a perfect roll for him! I was sad when I heard we lost him.

Former Navy A-7E Corsair II single-seat/single-engine light attack pilot. A pic of the plane, or the distinctive intake, was unrecognizable as an avatar. I could already hear the questions if I used either pic.

I had transferred to shore duty from my squadron, VA-22, the year before they filmed Top Gun on the Enterprise, one of three carriers with footage in the film. There are a few tail shots of the Fighting Redcocks in the movie at the beginning. The paint scheme changed from light-colored to solid dark and light gray as seen in the movie while I was in the squadron.

15971e844022379d5de27ccf87779df7.jpg

Former Navy A-7E Corsair II single-seat/single-engine light attack pilot. A pic of the plane, or the distinctive intake, was unrecognizable as an avatar. I could already hear the questions if I used either pic.

I had transferred to shore duty from my squadron, VA-22, the year before they filmed Top Gun on the Enterprise, one of three carriers with footage in the film. There are a few tail shots of the Fighting Redcocks in the movie at the beginning. The paint scheme changed from light-colored to solid dark and light gray as seen in the movie while I was in the squadron.

View attachment 652123
My first models as a kid were Corsairs, I&II, before I moved onto building tanks. I always liked the Corsairs, they had a dangerous look. By the time I was stationed in Miramar they were long gone and all my Neighbors were F18 pilots. My last MAG started transitioning to F35s the year I moved on, crazy how fast everything starts moving. I’m just a mud guy, but what’s flown over me has dramatically changed! Hats off to you Sir, tons of fun serving with pilots, living with them, and I’ve benefited from their skills more than once! What was your call sign?

Reactions: noboundaries
Razor.

They dangled FA-18s before my eyes to get me to stay in the Navy. But first I had to go to sea as an assistant navigator on a carrier. Nope. I was done. My kids were small and were more important to me than more time at sea.
Who doesn't want more sea pay???? 🤣 Retired AT.

Mine is my last puppy, gone for almost three years now. He was always being dressed up for one reason or another, so my wash khakis (if you know, you know) were just one of many outfits for him. He was one helluva Chief.

Mine is of my little girl Gabby, I had to let her go 3 April 1st ago. She just turned 16 and it was time , still miss her.
She was with me almost everyday, and loved to drive in the truck and the boats.
I always used to say she is the little BOY I always wanted. My son hated that. lol

David

Last edited:
I’ve always been curious about random things that most people don’t think twice about. Personalized license plates I can’t understand drive me crazy. Since Joining SMF I’ve spent a little too much free time pondering your Avatars and why you picked those pictures to represent you amongst this group. Some of you probably didn’t think twice, others may have an interesting personal story, but I’d greatly appreciate hearing either! If anything it will free up some mental Bandwidth!

For me, I joined SMF after a long deployment to Africa where I was training the Liberian Engineers. Over few day break, me and a few other guys grabbed some surfboards (one from Peace Corps & one brought in with our gear) and drove up the coast for a few days surfing at empty breaks and Robertsport. My Avatar picture was taken somewhere along that time. It was my 6th deployment and first one that didn’t involve Iraq or Afghanistan so it felt pretty special. A unique experience, surfing West Africa. When I joined SMF it was the picture that I figured captured my happy place at the time. Now it would be something different, but I don’t want to confuse people🤣

Ok, I hope you share your story. Again, Merry Christmas!!!🎄
A smoker I built from a subway cabinet.... I used stainless serving pan covers with holes bored into the low point for drainage into the steam pan. Built it for a friends funeral dinner. Propane powered and can hold a lot of chicken legs.

View attachment 652123
One of the more friendlier aircraft to chock for sure.

12 point standard. 18 point with some nasty weather. 24 point in the north Pacific with 90 foot waves. Fun times.
Never been aboard ship.. I've just been in aviation a long time. Pretty much safe to approach that bird at a 90 to block the nose and or the mains. Not so much with 15, 16, 18's etc.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky