WFF Peri Peri Chicken Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Al, that chicken looks amazing!! plate of food looks good too, thanks for sharing!
Thank you!!
Al
Looks great. No worries in label coming Off in the SV? I’ve wondered about just putting the whole package in like that.
Jim
Thanks Jim!
I never thought of that, but it worked fine1
Al
Looking good, Al! I will have to look at this one.

Were these on-line or in store? I haven't noticed them on-line, but I could have easily overlooked them. All our shopping is on-line since nearest store is 4-1/2 hours away.

We have been happy with 99% of what we have received from WFF. They changed their packaging and I don't like it as much as the styrofoam cooler in a box they used to use. Last order came in box with some sort of insulated, paper covered pouches lining all the sides. Only issue is that the box got crushed some during shipping. Insulation was falling apart and all except a very small piece of the dry ice remained. All the meat seemed to still be frozen. But while trying to unpack and separate all the meat from the damaged insulation, I overlooked a skirt steak. Found it next morning when started to put all the packaging in our trash container. Should have looked closer but would not have happened with their old packaging.
Thanks, this was online. I only live a couple of hours away, and I actually like the new packaging. We get our order in an insulated bag with dry ice. Always been frozen solid. I would think if anything came damaged they would send out a replacement overnight.
Al
Great looking meal Al!

Al

Looks very good.

I like your style Al! Man that looks super tasty and I like the methods.

Nice work with SV and repurposing the marinade for a glaze.

Very Nice! I can vouch for Disco's Piri piri chicken thighs...they are good! Thanks for bringing that up...I need to make them again soon!!!
Thanks guys!
Al
Looks absolutely delicious, Al! I have a question though: is it safe to sous vide meat/poultry in store bought packaging? Is the packaging suitable /safe to use in hot temperatures? Yes, I know they use good quality food grade plastic for packaging but as much as I know it intends to be used for cold temperatures.... Am I mistaken? I tried to google it but couldn't find definitive answer...
You bring up a good point & needs to be investigated further. However the packaging has to be food safe, and 135 is not a real hot temp.
Al
Al, that looks great! Wild Fork opened a store 10 minutes from our house and we are very impressed with them.

- Jason

Al, that looks awesome, it really does. We do the lettuce wedge salad often and with bacon crumbles. I like mine with blue cheese, the wife likes ranch. I'll be over later for a plate of leftovers...

Very nice Al! I've resisted the SV but that is a good reason right there to have one!

Looks good Al!

Looks real good Al! Nice write ups and different than the usual.
Great work.

Good looking meal Al.

Rob
Thanks fellas!!
Al
Al that chicken looks absolutely fantastic!! Beautiful across the board. I also love all the black pepper on your salad. that's exactly how I like them...and pretty much everything else :emoji_wink: Very nice job sir.

Robert
Thanks Robert!
Appreciate it!
Al
All looks Great, Al !!
I haven't done chicken for awhile in my SV, but I think I did the Dark Meat at a higher temp.
Like.

Bear
Thanks Buddy!
My thinking was we were gonna sear them on the sear grates, so I didn’t want to overcook them. To get the good grill marks & crispy skin, we left them on about 4 minutes on each side. It seemed to work out OK. The texture of the meat was perfect. I think at a higher temp, you wouldn’t let them soak as long.
Al
Chicken looks great, I love the flavor of peri peri

Great looking chicken , Al. !!

Looks perfect! I love Peri Peri, I get bottles of it at Trader Joe’s and use it on everything! Great writeup!
Thanks a lot guys!!
Al

Reactions: Bearcarver
Al , I just trying to catch up on posts, glad I found this one,

Love the process and i saw the disco disco post about this Peri Peri also. So I must try
And I have been on the fence like civilsmoker civilsmoker about getting into SV cooking . But you might
have pushed me over the edge. Will have to start reading more on this style.

Great looking chicken and meal, love me some flavored wild rice also

David

Al , I just trying to catch up on posts, glad I found this one,

Love the process and i saw the disco disco post about this Peri Peri also. So I must try
And I have been on the fence like civilsmoker civilsmoker about getting into SV cooking . But you might
have pushed me over the edge. Will have to start reading more on this style.

Great looking chicken and meal, love me some flavored wild rice also

David

Thanks David!
SV is pretty incredible.
Try a boneless skinless chicken breast for your first try, if you get one. I put butter, lemon slices, spices etc. in the bag for 3-4 hours at 132. No need to sear it, you can cut it with a fork, and juicy as a thigh.
Al

Thanks David!
SV is pretty incredible.
Try a boneless skinless chicken breast for your first try, if you get one. I put butter, lemon slices, spices etc. in the bag for 3-4 hours at 132. No need to sear it, you can cut it with a fork, and juicy as a thigh.
Al

Sounds good Al, I am looking into them now . I see that inkbird has one on their list.

Anything that I should know about them before I get one . Like the right Size , or the output of one .
I will start really looking into the good and bad of different units

David

Thanks David!
SV is pretty incredible.
Al
I've been thinking about getting into SV as well, and this post is encouraging me even more! Very good looking chicken!

I wonder about the cooking temperature. When I cook chicken on my grill, I try to get the breast to 160 and the thighs to 170, more or less. Why is 132 adequate with SV; why wouldn't you aim for the same temperature used for grilling? I've done some reading on the topic, but I've not seen this explained.

Thanks Keith

That is the kind of info I am looking for.
Any Brands you have heard of to stay away from

David
I bought the Anova when it first hit the market. It was the first to break out into the economical sous vide machine market. I like it. I has blue tooth capability if you want to monitor it from your phone.

I do recommend using a small Coleman 'stacker packer' ice chest for your container. Just cut a 2" hole with a hole saw in the lid.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Why is 132 adequate with SV
It's all about pasteurization. You are using a lower heat, for an extended period of time. Just be sure to follow the sous vide charts posted by Baldwin. The type of meat and how thick determine the length of time. There is a range of temps you can use, but in most cases the lowest temp. is 131. You can sous vide lower but there are some conditions that must be met to ensure the surface of the meat has an extremely low bacterial count.

small Coleman 'stacker packer' ice ches

Thanks Keith , I will look into the Coleman Stacker, to see what this is . I have looks of large coolers in the summer shed. 3 large Coleman coolers that we do not use that often. I think I might have a holesaw or 2 kicking around. :) that I can have my way with the cooler.

David

I can see where that meal would hit the spot Al. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokinAl
I have always wanted to make these after seeing a thread by disco disco , so when I was making an order for WFF, I came across these & just put them in my cart.
View attachment 638040
OK, so here is where it gets weird . I just took the whole package out of the freezer & put it in the SV at 135 for 6 hours.
View attachment 638039
After 6 hours out of the bath.
View attachment 638042
Onto a tray to dry off a bit.
View attachment 638043
Next a quick sear on the gasser.
View attachment 638045
View attachment 638044
We took the leftover marinade, added some BBQ sauce & boiled it down to make a glaze.
View attachment 638046
View attachment 638047
View attachment 638048
Next into a 350 degree oven to set the glaze.
View attachment 638049
Ready to eat with some wild rice & a lettuce wedge.
View attachment 638050
View attachment 638051
This was one of the easiest meals we have prepared. It was very tasty, tender, & juicy. So far we have not been disappointed by Wild Fork Foods. Thanks for looking folks!!
Al
I’m planning on doing my first SV tonight — chicken thighs! Appreciate your tips 😃

Reactions: SmokinAl
Good luck Stave!
Let us know how they turn out!
5BA31756-1B1C-4F93-9679-C7C56500C546.jpeg
Al
I would call it a success! I followed your example with one exception. The 135° kinda scared me, so I bumped it to 145°. They were flavorful and tender, but were a little on the dry side. Would that have been caused by the higher temp? Fries were hand cut gold tators cooked in my air frier.

DFF5CE73-FC3B-45C0-B1AE-623A5B759123.jpeg

I should say that I did this in my clobbered together diy SV. I have a good temp controler on my mini smoker's fan. I also have I hot plate for camping. And I have a spare pot for on Instant Pot. I bought a $6 aquarium recirculating pump, and put every together.

C94E1E59-269D-43AD-B2C7-578959384A86.jpeg

The blue square next to the bag is my pump. I set the temp range to 1°

the next night I tried 2 1" thick round steaks, but that was a failure. A little overcooked and VERY DRY.

At 132 you get very tender & juicy chicken. Here is a table letting you know how many minutes it takes at different temps to sterilize the meat. As you can see it only takes 55 minutes at 132 to be safe. So 34 hours at that temp would be perfectly safe.
1659096965877.jpeg

Al

At 132 you get very tender & juicy chicken. Here is a table letting you know how many minutes it takes at different temps to sterilize the meat. As you can see it only takes 55 minutes at 132 to be safe. So 34 hours at that temp would be perfectly safe.

Al

thanks Al. I assume you meant 3-4 hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky