Wet Aged Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nomadd917

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
Peoria, IL
should I still smoke this brisket? Originally planned to smoke it after 30 days but time got away from me.

28B771F3-1BB9-488C-BC5C-9FE9F2180D3E.jpeg

Thinking of smoking Friday night. No air bubbles and still tightly vacuumed sealed in package.
Or should I pitch it and buy a new one.

any input would be appreciated

This is a perfect example of, Let your Nose be your Guide. You said the packaging seems intact with no bubbles. A loose or puffy package is a good indicator that spoilage Bacteria has rotted the meat. It will have a Funky Smell, either way. The difference is the Funk dissipates if the meat is still good. Spoiled meat just plain stinks to the point that people in other rooms will ask, " What Died? "...JJ

Reactions: nomadd917
JJ thank you as always for your sound advice.
I’ll find out Friday when I open the package if the brisket is still good.

Here are pictures of the full brisket in question still in packaging.
1562DC8C-E33C-40FF-8CEE-41D5AFAF5510.jpeg
C1184093-551B-4068-ACDB-BF03A83C5A94.jpeg

any concerns about taste? I’m mostly worried about the fat having an off taste. Especially the fat seam between the point and the flat.
I am considering separating the point and flat and removing the fat that separates the 2 pieces.

Looks OK, But the smell test will tell for sure

Gary

Fat goes Rancid exposed to Air and is excelerated by Light. Neither of which your beef should have come in contact with.
There is going to be more odor than usual. Wash the meat and dry it well then make an assessment as to its wholesomeness. You can even cook off a small slice to confirm it's ok...JJ

Man that would be shame to have to throw that beauty out. I would also go by the smell test. They always say aged meat is better right! Lol. Let us know what happens!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky