Western Colorado Springs Burning...It's a sad day here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Wind from a thunderstorm fired up, but no rain and pushed the Waldo Canyon Fire back away from my area onto western Colorado Springs. The gusts at times were upwards of 65 mph where it was burning and air support had to be grounded. When it blew back it happened very quickly and even fire fighters had to run to get out of harm's way. 

All housing areas of the Air Force Academy have been evacuated and other parts of it are on pre-evacuation.

The Flying W Ranch, a 60 year iconic establishment, has burned to the ground.

I 25 Southbound is closed near the USAF and 32000 people have been evacuated. 

Estimates fire has burned 6200 acres and they are expecting the fire to keep moving north.

548671_415317371852283_2069393037_n.jpg

94bf80b3_282368_10151080442993939_940668156_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thoughts and prayers go out to all, not only in Colorado but all parts of the country that"s on fire. Not only is there such a lack of rain but so much of the forests are dieing out to boot.

I'm good. Boyfriend had to go back to work this morning. I've gotten the atvs and trailer already moved. Truck is packed, as we are on standby evacuation. It was really bad this morning for us, only 3 miles away as the crow flies. Can I sleep tonight...that gave me a chuckle, which I certainly needed! Don't know about sleeping but I'll lay down for a while. 4-5 more fires deliberately started in my area again yesterday. It's open hunting season on arsonists. 
What's your current status?  Can you go to sleep tonight?
It does suck and I saw that Boulder has a fire there now and the city is on pre-evacuation.

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/City_Of_Boulder_On_Pre-Evacuation_For_Wildfire_160457625.html
That really sucks, sorry to hear/see Husker.  Know people in the Golden, Boulder, Louisville area.
This is the ridge from my home and what it looked like before the winds changed direction and pushed it back on Colorado Springs.

8ad14a41_DSC_0645resize.jpg

That is such a horrible situation. Skinning the A$$HOLE that started it and others would be too humane! Stay safe young lady!...JJ

Last edited:
Thanks JJ. They have determined the Waldo Canyon fire wasn't started by weather, but can't even think about getting into the area to investigate or determine the point of origin.
That is such a horrible situation. Skinning the A$$HOLE that started it and others would be too humane! Stay safe young lady!...JJ
Thank you! We'd take all the rain we could get right now. Relative humidity is like 5%.
Alesia, you stay safe out there and I'll say a prayer for some much needed rain for you.

Alesia when I saw on the weather channel that the fires had blown up big time I was a bit concerned about whether it was headed your way or if they were able to hole that fire line. Sorry to hear that so many people are being affected. I wish we could have sent you most of the rain the state of Florida received. Be safe and be ready to go if they say to

I just talked to Alesia, she has evacuated to safe ground and is in Gunnison at a motel her boyfriend is at that he stays in for work.  She heard on the scanner that mandatory evacuation was going to start at noon, giving herself a headstart over others and when the officials knocked on her door she was 100% ready to go.  She also packed up all her freezers of sausages, elk meat, buckboard bacon she'd just made and all the rest and took it to a neighbor in a safe zone and loaded up his freezers; the family with kids having a rough time with intermittent work and she welcomed them to eat any and everything they wanted, it was better to give it away than to let it burn!  What a great humanitarian effort!  She needs to get an award for that!  But, she is safe and will go to her boyfiend's worksite and use his laptop there to get online in the morning and post some updates.  We pray for her and TG she got out safe!

Holy Smokes! This is kinda startling news for me, although, it shouldn't be, as I was visiting with Alesia on the 24th, tossing PM's, and she mentioned the Waldo Canyon fire, being the newest and closest to her home, and that they were on stand-by for evacuation.

Thanks for the update, Pops...much appreciated, as I was just beginning to get really concerned about what was going on.

I just saw this right now...I am very relieved to know you got out alright, Alesia, and that you have a place to hole-up in until you can regroup. With a little luck, you might not lose everything you had to leave behind (fingers crossed). Insurance can't replace sentimental value, unfortunately. I know we are only online friends, but I feel your pain and anguish, sister. I almost lost my home and family in 2005 to a tornado while I was at work, and it nearly took me out while driving on the highway. So, that rather rude wake-up call has had me on high alert for disaster situations ever since, and it also has me doing more each year to be better prepare for these and other emergencies.

My hat is off to you for delivering your meats to someone who could really use them...very, very nice gesture, and you will be rewarded for that someday...paying it forward, as we say...you just never know when. I'm sure just the feeling of knowing it went to someone in need is enough (it would be for me, anyway), but there may be something in your future to brighten your day when you least expect it...something that will remind you of the things you do to help others. Hopefully your day won't be long awaited.

Best wishes to you and yours. Keep your chin up...we'll be here for you.

Eric

BTW, for anyone facing any type of similar situations, you can download a scanner program to your cell phone, desktop, pad or laptop even if you don't have a dedicated base or handheld scanner; you will hear things you never hear on the news (latest updates, emergency news, etc.).  I've been a 'scanner junkie' for 40 years, having set up my parents' 10 channel crystal scanner for them in the 70's from RadioShack.  They were the center of fire department communications at the store; they literally triggered the fire department siren from the store, answered the 'fire phone' at all times, day and night, went to the firehouse (next door) and posted the directions to the fire on a chalkboard (you couldn't scream over the sound of the siren wailing, lol!) to let the volunteers know where the fire was, etc.  We had to hire a babysitter for the firephone if we all wanted to go somewhere!

But, in an emergency, nothing is more vital than to stay informed on an ASAP basis; she said it gave her more than 15 minutes head start over others who were just waiting for the evacuation signal to be televised and was using a downloadable scanner program, not a scanner itself.  One of the first programs I put on my iPhone!

Last edited:
My thoughts& prayers are with ya'll. We have friends that just moved to Colorado Springs this past spring. We have tried to contact them by way of cell phones...haven't heard from them yet.

Stay safe my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky