Western Atlantic Guy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SteveGee

Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
Oak Island, NC
or Eastern North Carolina....but Western Atlantic sounded more fun. Either way, I am a very good home cook with mostly savory, indoor or gas grill experience. Recently bought a new place and want to build an outdoor kitchen that includes more smoking and bbq style rather than gas. I am working on designs in 3d now, but hoping to learn from other builds and experts here. Ideally, I would want a pizza style oven along with bbq pit. I like the idea of a standup box type smoker as well but that is probably redundant to a bbq pit with an offset firepit option. Aside from utility, space and other considerations will, of course, apply.
Aside from learning from y'all on my bbq build, I also will be absorbing recipes and cooking technique. I am coastal so seafood is always up there but I never turn down a nice bit of slow cooked protein.
Anyway, looking forward to learning and talking with y'all.

thanks for the welcomes. spending an overcast vacation day reading the build threads.

Welcome from Mississippi! Look forward to pics ( we are visually oriented here) and writeups.
Jim

I do plan to post pics and such. The pics in the threads I have been reading are quite helpful. Right now, I am in research and learning phase on types, styles, materials etc. Lots of options and decisions to make before I fire Sketchup. I do know I don't need anything huge (certainly not a whole hog cooker) - large enough to entertain a few but this is mostly for daily use (I love cooking outside) for two (kids are mostly out of the nest).

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome! This is a great place to lean and be inspired......I would not have the BBQ/smoking experience without the forum. It inspired many builds in our house.....and since you mentioned sketch up, here is a build my son and me did.....sketch up worked sweet and that’s saying something cause I’m a civil engineer with access to full blown CAD....
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/the-x-fire-grill.284462/

oh and just sharing this build cause it may help you answer the question of needing a vertical box smoker as well a pit.....
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...h-vertical-cabinet-aka-the-copper-pot.268790/

Reactions: SteveGee
Welcome from Long Island, NY I would also consider a Blackstone 36" griddle into your mix. You can cook amazing food on one. We use it for burgers, fajitas and the best is fresh Tuna
fajita4.JPG
rib eye roll 4.jpg

Reactions: SteveGee
Welcome! This is a great place to lean and be inspired......I would not have the BBQ/smoking experience without the forum. It inspired many builds in our house.....and since you mentioned sketch up, here is a build my son and me did.....sketch up worked sweet and that’s saying something cause I’m a civil engineer with access to full blown CAD....

Thanks! I bookmarked both. The holiday has me distracted with company coming, but definitely will give both of those a deep read. Thank you!

Welcome from Long Island, NY I would also consider a Blackstone 36" griddle into your mix. You can cook amazing food on one. We use it for burgers, fajitas and the best is fresh Tuna

I love me some fajitas. I prefer shrimp fajitas but could so do some fresh Tuna for fish taco night. I am walking distance to both the beach and my favorite fish monger (3.5 blocks!). Sounds perfect. I do have space considerations but will look into the Blackstone. Whatever griddle I get will need to be removable. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, no more shellfish for me since I had an anaphylactic reaction to shrimp after 43 years of eating it!:emoji_angry: i wish I could walk to beach from my house but that would need to add another $2,000,000 more than my house is worth.

ouch. my wife is allergic to shrimp as well so I have to be really careful.

We got a little lucky with a land sale getting into a bidding war followed by a solid deal on a coastal property. not beachfront by any means. That would add the same to mine. Prices drop a lot here when you go in a few blocks.

And, speaking of my fish monger. just got back from there with some scallops for Thanksgiving eve eats.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky