West Virginia Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WV_Crusader

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 15, 2014
Triadelphia, WV
I’d say Boston but being from West Virginia you always add a little Appalachia to everything we do!

So I smoked this butt on 225 in my GMG Daniel Boone with Lumberjack CharHickory pellets. I ran my DG Downdraft and monitored the whole cook with my ThermoWorks Signals.
The rub started with the binder of French’s mustard followed by OakRidge BBQ Competition Beef and Pork rub then a dusting of Ramp Dust I make every year in the spring.

Below is the results after it was pulled and wrapped in foil at 195F then rested for 2HRS before shredding. My wife and kids destroyed this thing! Said it was amazing and I was actually proud myself!
7C8FADE6-C103-44E6-ACBA-7E35B10062E7.jpeg

7B240B04-065A-4AB7-8D76-351D06B5AC10.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I may have enough for lunch leftover tomorrow. My son that’s 4 I would swear ate a whole lb! He just looked at me and said Daddy, I think I’m gonna pop! LOL

Reactions: TNJAKE
How do the sauce it in W. Virginia? I can't say it out loud if my neighbors are around but, I don't like it the way we do it here in NC.

I use Tacticalories Candy Apple Whiskey BBQ on all my pork and chicken! A little pricey but I buy 160oz at a time and it’s amazing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky