Well, pulled the trigger on the Camp Chef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Papagrizz did you end up sealing the lid? I am thinking about doing this as my smoker is subjected to lots of wind where it sits and I think thats part of my temp swings.

I put the gasket on the lid only. All sides. I suppose you could do it on the grill too but i think that would be overkill.
I should have been more specific haha. I meant all sides of the lid. So you did the top, bottom and both sides and it helped with the temp fluctuations and didn’t impact the performance of the grill?

I should have been more specific haha. I meant all sides of the lid. So you did the top, bottom and both sides and it helped with the temp fluctuations and didn’t impact the performance of the grill?
Yes thats correct. Smaller temp swings, more smoke flavor in my food, better holding temps. I have smoke in single digit weather. I love my Camp Chef.

Reactions: Geebs
I finally decided to break out my ole trusty machinist rule and measure the gap on my lid. Lower left side is 9/32". Needless to say the .125 or 1/8" FireBlack won't do a lot but maybe slow the draft down a bit. I now have some of the FireBlack 220 on order which is .220" in an attempt to slow even more the gap of .281" Not air tight by any means but should control the draft and heat impact. Several days ago a smoke of a 9# Picnic used a 20# bag of Apple plus some Competition Blend to finish the smoke in 35 degree temps. Purchased the blanket that will arrive today and along with the FireBlack should have better pellet economy and draft control for a better smoke. Just my opinion but hard to argue with physics which states heat rises = cold fresh air in replacing heat and smoke. I'll update the forum after my next smoke with upgrades installed.

I actually reformed my lid with a rubber mallet a bit before adding the 1/8 fireblack. One corner was really out of shape, probably from shipping. I originally did two cooks back to back and shimmed my lid open a bit with a thin magnet to recreate the gap. I took it off and never looked back after that.

Reactions: IBVASmoker
if smoke is "flowing" out of a crack , seems to me air is not going in that way . looking to buy a pellet smoker after seeing them in action and reading a ton of posts still on the fence about buying one . I have an electric , propane and a stick burner , not so sure I need one but I sure do want one.

if smoke is "flowing" out of a crack , seems to me air is not going in that way .
True to an extent, until forced wind/air flow over powers the internal draft which causes huge temp drop at times. I unfortunately have my patio facing SW-W so I receive a ton of wind. When it gets really horrible I construct a wind break to help battle it. I gave up on my Brinkmann Electric because of that very fact and now have a pellet.

I haven't looked at their blankets personally, I use a weld blanket, but it strikes me as counter productive to say the gaps atound the lid are intended to help air flow but do cover it with something to retain the heat. I love my weld blankie in cold weather though.

Goofy question for any of you fine people with a DLX, is it possible for someone to take measurements of the side shelf? I have an XT and am a little bored at work. Thought about making one. Any input appreciated!

Goofy question for any of you fine people with a DLX, is it possible for someone to take measurements of the side shelf? I have an XT and am a little bored at work. Thought about making one. Any input appreciated!

Roughly 12.5 X 16

IMG_2218.jpg
IMG_2219.jpg

Thanks so much! I couldn't see spending the money on one, hopefully I get the sear box for Father's day. But I will build a shelf for it in the meantime!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky