Welcome to the Neighborhood!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Monroe, NC USA
Hello Everyone!
This past weekend I moved into a new house in a new neighborhood. We are still unpacking all the bags and boxes of stuff but i thought we should get to know our new neighbors. As some of you may know i love to smoke meat and give it away to other people especially my neighbors. (This got my lawn mowed for 2-1/2 years!) So i found a sale on Pork Boston Butts at Lowe's Foods, $0.97/# if you bought 2 at a time. so i bought 4. there is 9 other houses on my cul-du-sac and one is empty so that's eight families. I will smoke the pork this coming Saturday morning and either Saturday evening or Sunday i will go door to door introducing ourselves and giving away BBQ.

Here are Pics of the pork i bought last week. I froze them and now they are thawing so i can get them ready for Saturday morning.

IMG_20171202_051025.jpg
IMG_20171202_051033.jpg

Stay tuned there will more pics to come and let ya know how it goes with the neighbors!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Sweet! And an awesome brand to boot!That's exactly what Beatrice was.Maybe you can get lawn service and leaf removal!

Bill

Hello Everyone!
This past weekend I moved into a new house in a new neighborhood. We are still unpacking all the bags and boxes of stuff but i thought we should get to know our new neighbors. As some of you may know i love to smoke meat and give it away to other people especially my neighbors. (This got my lawn mowed for 2-1/2 years!) So i found a sale on Pork Boston Butts at Lowe's Foods, $0.97/# if you bought 2 at a time. so i bought 4. there is 9 other houses on my cul-du-sac and one is empty so that's eight families. I will smoke the pork this coming Saturday morning and either Saturday evening or Sunday i will go door to door introducing ourselves and giving away BBQ.

Here are Pics of the pork i bought last week. I froze them and now they are thawing so i can get them ready for Saturday morning.

View attachment 346820 View attachment 346821

Stay tuned there will more pics to come and let ya know how it goes with the neighbors!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)
Lowes has foods are we talking about the same Lowe's as in hardware?

You really should come live down south,Smithfield pork and lumber - one stop shopping!
Just kidding,they're different stores.We actually don't have the Lowes food stores here in Va.

Actually there used to be a lot of Lowe's Foods stores in VA, but in the southern part of VA near NC border. I don't know how many they have now. (if any). I don't shop there often except when i find something ridiculously priced like .97/# for pork butts.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Huh, I never knew Lowe's had a food arm, not any around here.

We had a store here named Anderson's which had gourmet groceries at one end and then housewares and clothes and tools etc., then more DIY into the lumber end. The lumber guys told me they were not allowed to cut anything because they couldn't have sawdust floating around in a food sales place.

Better make some chicken .. I know alot of people that don't like swine ..

As far as it being Lowe's Foods im pretty sure they are a separate company than Lowes hardware.
As for making chicken i was thinking of doing some cheap quarters, but i may not. if don't like that's okay its gift.

I did some prep on it this morning. Now, i do my Butts a little different than a lot of folks on here. I like to remove the fat cap and these butts had big fat caps. and then i don't use a rub i like to just us a healthy amount of salt (usually Kosher). I was really low on kosher salt so i used table salt. I will let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours in the salt and then smoke 'em!

here are the pics...trimmed the first of four butts...
buttTrim.jpg

Like i said before i use a good amount of salt on the meat....
buttsalt.jpg

All ready to go....back in the fridge until smoke tomorrow morning!

buttready.jpg

Stay tuned tomorrow there will be pics of smoking the butts!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Well folks,
I smoked the pork yesterday. I smoked 4 Boston Butts and 3 racks of baby backs. Here are some of the pics of the pork being smoked...

Four Butts on the smoker (Betty)
IMG_20171209_070512.jpg

Here are the baby backs... I smoked these for my family and the moving guys who moved all the heavy stuff of our house.
IMG_20171209_070850.jpg

Here is a shot of everything starting to smoke...
IMG_20171209_070904.jpg

Here is an hour or so into the smoke...
IMG_20171209_081910.jpg

Almost done....
IMG_20171209_135520.jpg

about to wrap and let rest...
IMG_20171209_140004.jpg

I will pull/shred today. this afternoon i will go around the neighborhood and give a pan full of pork to everybody! Hopefully be well received and meet our new neighbors!
I will try to get soem pulled shots to post here.

thanks for looking and commenting!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: GATOR240
Lookin' good! I'm sure you will be the talk of the neighborhood...In a good way! It will definitely help make the transition to a new neighborhood much easier. Point for the good looking food and the great idea.

That's a nice neighborly thing to do Aaron. Unfortunately you don't see much of that anymore. Glad to see your still old-school. In our neighborhood we used to have block parties where everyone got along and looked out for each other. Not so much anymore with the divorces and high turnover. point to you.

Chris

Well we didn't get to go round the neighborhood today as planned my wife wasn't feeling well so we going to do it tomorrow evening after i get home from work. But i did get all the butts pulled and all of it vacuum sealed or bagged. I got a couple of shots of the pork pulled.

here it is pulled apart into chunks...
IMG_20171210_125450.jpg

here it is pulled apart smaller.
IMG_20171210_130107.jpg

Will post the results tomorrow!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Looking good Aaron. Gonna be some real happy new neighbors. Real nice gesture there, and also feeding the movers.
POINT
Gary

thank you for the point. i hope the neighbors like it alright and that reminds me to call the moving company to see when the guys will be in the office to eat the ribs!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky